Skip to main content

Isle of Hope and Wormsloe

First of all, today is my birthday. 33 seems old, so yuck! I would like for each and every one of you to come help me paint my bedroom this weekend as your birthday gift to me. No? Some blog friends you are!


Get ready for the biggest photo display yet. On Saturday afternoon we drove down the most idyllic street you have ever seen. It was on the Isle of Hope. You drive down this barely paved, single lane, winding road. On one side is the river and on the other side are these magnificent homes. Each home you pass is more breathtaking than the previous one. I would gladly move into any of them! Each house has a dock, so they just walk down their exquisitely manicured front lawns, out their white picket fence gates and cross the street to reach their docks. I tried to leave some of my photos out, but they are all so lovely it was hard! Here is a great sampling...



















Hello? Are you still there? I figure that there is either a fair chance that I have bored you to death, or you are now packing your things and heading to the Isle of Hope!

After driving through all of this amazing scenery, we headed to Wormsloe Plantation (or Wormslow, I've seen both). This is one of those places that there really are no words to describe...

The Entry Gates...

Anyone know how to photoshop those abominations called signs out?

Now here is one that I've done some tinkering with...



Hold onto your socks people, 'cause this is what it's all about...

This is like Oak Alley (Louisiana) on steroids (only no lovely house at the end). This Live Oak lined drive is 1 1/2 miles long. Have you seen this before? Are you envisioning Forrest Gump running until his leg braces fall off? This is where that was filmed.

Another Edit Job...


Warning: Do Not Go to Wormsloe to see the plantation house. As the informative sign (above) says, there are only ruins of the Tabby structure.

The way that this is set up is that you drive to a horrible modern looking museum and then walk to the plantation ruins, the marsh lands, the old burial ground and the colonial village.

Here is a photo of us all on the journey.

Shortly after this photo was taken we started hearing shots that sounded like a cannon firing or something which led me to exclaim, "The Yankees are Coming!"

Turns out that I was in the wrong era...

It was just this guy and his musket

After hearing the musket being fired (so loud and very smoky...the above is a demonstration of "flash in the pan" not a firing), and each holding the musket (they are heavy folks), we headed out to view the marsh.

Someone had the bright idea to climb out onto a Red Cedar tree to try and get better photos, but I won't say who...

Wait a minute!


Do Not Try This At Home...In a white coat!

I didn't intend my graceful moves to be caught on film, but I think my friends wanted photographic proof in the event I fell into the mud and sunk in quicksand or something!

Then I figured out there was a marsh overlook for easy photo-ops!


After we were finished at Wormsloe, we headed back to Savannah and went to dinner at The Olde Pink House

It was so pretty...we sat in the upstairs



My "medium-well" friends were kind enough to tolerate my eating the "Cold Rare" steak at dinner (wonderful)! It probably grossed them out!

Jenn and Suz each ordered one of these pretty desserts.

I had this chocolate concoction and in the little cup was Strawberries Romanoff.

Stay tuned for the last day of vacation posts tomorrow...

Comments

courtney said…
Happy birthday to you!!!

I love all of those Georgian homes--gorgeous! And, yes, I would move into any one of them, too!

BTW, your steak looks delicious--medium well is ick, beef jerky!
laterg8r said…
happy birthday! love those homes, a good big porch is one of my dreams! :D
Scrappy Girl said…
Happy Happy Birthday! In exactly one month I will be 35! Ahhh!

It is amazing how much your trip has made me more and more excited about New Orleans on the 31st. We are going to tour Oak Alley AND eat at Bubba Gumps restaurant...who knew Forrest Gump and oaks went together so often!
Angela said…
Happy Birthday! Isn't this the best month for birthdays! lol Thanks for sharing your vacation photos!
Caroline said…
Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a great day.

Your trip looks so wonderful. I wish I could book the same trip right now.
Spotted-Bird said…
Happy Birthday!!! Hope you had a great day. Can't wait to hear about the end of your trip. Wish you would have taken me with you.
Traci said…
Happy Birthday, Kara!! I was in Mckinney while you were on your fabulous vacay!! Otherwise, I would have helped you paint then. Coulda Shoulda Woulda.......

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo