Skip to main content

{Confessions of a Product Junkie}... Skincare 2018

I last blogged about my skincare routine in August 2017.  I haven't updated since then because I hadn't been tempted to try any new products and was pretty happy with my routine.  But recently, I purchased a few new products, so I wanted to do an update.  As always, I'm no expert, I just like to use great products and I'm always on the hunt for something great.

Just to recap, this has been my steady routine for a while...

I wipe makeup off my face before I use any products.  I prefer these Walmart brand Equate face wipes.  They are their version of Neutrogena wipes.  They don't irritate my skin, they do a good job of taking off makeup, and don't contain a heavy smell...
Next I wash with Renee Rouleau's AHA/BHA Blemish Control Cleanser...

Then I use RR Balancing Skin Tonic Toner.  It's alcohol free, which I really like...

Next I use Teddy Organic's Rosehip Oil.  I put about 5 drops into the palm of my hand, rub them around and then all over my face.  This really lasts.  I purchased the 4 ounce bottle last July, and I'm still not out (and I've used it every single day)...

NEW PRODUCT I LOVE ALERT!  Renee Rouleau came out with an Overnight Eye Serum that has really solved some issues I was experiencing.  I had been having super dry undereye skin.  No matter what type of eye cream I would pile on, I would still have dry and flaky (peeling) skin.  As soon as I saw this product hit the market, I knew I had to try it, and it's really fixed my issues.  It's a "corrective exfoliator" for your undereye issues like "dryness, lines, and milia bumps".  You only use one tiny drop under each eye, and only 2-3 times per week, so this one bottle has lasted a long time.  

Then I use It Cosmetic's Bye Bye Under Eye Eye Cream.  I'm almost done with my second jar of it, and I really like it.  You can get it from It Cosmetic directly, but also from Sephora (it is not at Ulta).
Finally, I use It's Confidence in a Cream.  I'm on my 3rd jar of it, so that makes it the most long term use of any moisturizer ever.  As an aside, are you rubbing in your moisturizer enough?  I read in an article by Renee Rouleau that you should be rubbing in your moisturizer for 30 seconds.  30 seconds is a long time!  I don't know that I always go the full 30 seconds because I don't time it, but I have made an effort to rub and rub and rub until it doesn't seem like there is anything left to rub in.  I think a lot of people fail at this task.  This is available from It, Sephora, and Ulta...
All of the above is my nightly routine.  But I also use masks and scrubs throughout the week.  I have been using Laura Mercier's Flawless Skin Face Polish for several years.  I really like a super gritty scrub, and this one is pretty gritty...

I also have used GlamGlow's Supermud Clearing Treatment to get all the junk out of my pores.

I had been pretty happy with these products, but after all the bloggers and instagrammers were going on and on about Colleen Rothschild products, I had complete FOMO.  When Colleen had a 25% off sale, I took advantage and purchased two treatment products.  At the time, she had a two pack of  treatments that were already discounted (I don't see it now), so after the 25% off, I really got them at 41% off.  It seemed worth a try.  

Colleen Rothschild Dual Enzyme Polish is my favorite of the two...
This is what it looks like.  You put it on a damp face and leave it for 5-10 minutes.  There are some enzymes that work during that time, then using circular motions, you polish the skin before rinsing off.  You are suppose to use this product 1-2 times per week.  It is really gritty, and I have been pretty happy with the product.  Do I love it more than the Laura Mercier?  That's a toss up, but maybe a smidgen more.
The second CR treatment included in the duo is the Clarifying Detox Mask...
It's a charcoal/clay mask.  You put it on and leave it for 10 minutes, then wash away.  You are suppose to use this 2-3 times per week.



I had high hopes for this one because so many people had raved about it.  Do I like this as much as the Glamglow Supermud?  Nope.  Not even close.  I had been using the CR consistently and thinking it wasn't doing as good of a job.  Then this weekend I went back and used the Glamglow for a treatment and that confirmed that I 100% prefer the Glamglow.


Now, for my morning routine, I use the RR face wash and toner.  Then I use the It Cosmetics Eye Cream.  I had used a Vitamin C cream in the past, Renee Rouleau's Vitamin C&E Treatment, and I had really seen result and like it.  But for whatever reason, I fell off using it when I ran out, and just never replenished my supply.  I decided I NEEDED a vitamin C treatment, so during that CR sale, I purchased Colleen's Vitamin C Treatment Complex.   I wasn't sure I was loving this, but after using it for a couple of weeks I think I can see an evening out of my skintone.

After the Vitamin C treatment, it's time for moisturizer, and I have been using Glossier's Hydrating Face Priming Moisturizer.  It's a very pocketbook friendly moisturizer and I have really liked it.

So that's my current skincare routine.  I've also changed up some of my makeup, so another Confessions of a Product Junkie is right around the corner...stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo