Skip to main content

The In's and Out's of Flying WowAir

WowAir is a new airline to DFW.  They traditionally offer super cheap flights to Europe, but you have to stop in Iceland.  You do not have to stay in Iceland though.  My layover going to London was suppose to be 1 hour and 45 minutes, but due to a flight delay, it was zero minutes basically (they held our connecting plane for us and I ran like there was a frog chasing me.  If you know me, you know that means I've kicked into a superhero warp speed that you can't believe exists in me).  My flight from Amsterdam to DFW was suppose to be about 5 hours, but due to a delay was just over 6.  But you can also arrange to spend a little time in Iceland if you want.  It's up to you.

I decided I wanted to spend more time in Iceland than I could wrap into this trip, so it's a future trip for sure.  This was taken from the airport.  These pretty purple flowers were everywhere.
Now here is all the scoop that you need to know about booking and flying on WowAir:

These are the cities from which WowAir currently operates in the United States...
These are the cities to which you can fly...
(I see you Copenhagen & Stockholm.  I've got my eye on you)
They have a spot on their website where you can get an idea of the best fares over the next 3 months. You can search by your departure city.  Here are some of the examples of that...


 Now here is where you need to pay attention when booking:  Dates & Price.  

DATES:  Notice they don't fly every route every day.  Initially I was trying to go to Amsterdam and then London, but the flight schedule meant I either had to stay longer than I wanted, or cut my trip short.  Finally when I looked at doing the trip in reverse, it worked out perfectly.  

PRICE:  So the cheap price you see there, isn't going to include anything.  But you can pay a little more to get a little more.  Additionally, see that MyWOW price?  That option is sold out in the basic and plus, but see how it's cheaper to book that than the Wow comfy?  Do it!  It doesn't cost anything to join the MyWow.  It's just an email sign up.
 So let's break this down a little more.  What exactly is the difference?  Well luggage for starters.

On the Wow basic (the cheap eye-catching price), you get to bring yourself and a purse or small backpack, and you don't get to pick your seat.  So no checked luggage.  No carry-on.  Wow Plus lets you have a checked bag, a carry-on, and a personal item, and select your seat.  Wow Comfy lets you get all of the perks of Plus, with "more leg room" XL or XXL seat.  Wow Premium is more like first class.  It's seats are bigger, you get 2 checked bags, plus an in flight meal.

But keep in mind, you can do add-ons.  So if you book basic, you can pay for luggage extra (though I think it's usually cheaper just to book a plus ticket).  But with a plus ticket, you can upgrade to an XL or XXL seat when choosing your seat.  That *might* be cheaper than buying the comfy seat.  You just have to play around with it.  Another thing to consider, is that I generally found the flights to Europe were much cheaper than the flights home.  So make sure you can afford to get home before you book your flight there!
 Now, flying to London, I booked a Wow Comfy and had the extra leg room.  Flying home, to save some money, I just did a Wow Plus ticket without extra legroom.  Guess what folks?  I could hardly tell the difference.  This is a picture I took of me in a regular seat.  It is not uncommon for my knees to hit the seat in front of me on planes, but look how much room I had!  I don't know that I would spend the extra for more legroom in the future.

Other things you need to know:  

Food-You pay for everything on the plane.  Everything.  You want water?  You pay.  You want soda?  You pay.  You want food?  You pay.  Shockingly, the use of the bathrooms are free!  People in the know seemed to travel with a large water bottle that they could fill up in the airport (and at the airport in Iceland its glacier water!).  Also note, they only accept credit cards as payment on the plane, but that's pretty standard for all airlines' in flight purchases these days.

Entertainment- There is none.  No tv.  No map showing where your plane is currently located.  Nada.  But they do have a plug near each section of seats.  People in the know brought extension cords and power strips to maximize the one plug for multiple family members and devices.

Pillows & Blankets- None of these either.  I brought my travel pillow and also invested in a Vera Bradley travel blanket.  I forgot my sleeping mask, but that was needed too, as they didn't seem to dim the lights very quickly on the night flight over.

My overall thoughts about WowAir:

I saved a few hundred dollars by flying Wow.  I have flown to Europe cheaper on other airline deals, but for a summer (high season) flight, it was a pretty good deal.  

Would I fly them again?  Absolutely.

Would I prefer to fly on American, Delta, British Air, etc. for the free drinks, food, and extra comforts?  Absolutely

What was the worst thing about WowAir?  The dang seats!  The plane flying to Iceland (the 7.5 hour portion of the flight) seemed new, but it lacked comfy seats and no individual A/C blowers.  The seats were just hard and thin.  Not great for a long flight.  The flight over also got super hot.  I don't know if the A/C on the plane quit?  I thought I was going to melt and not having an individual air blower sucked.

Interestingly, the planes flying from Iceland to Europe and vice versa had very comfy seats and individual A/C blowers.  

So that's a little bit of info on my Wow experience.  They certainly didn't sponsor this post (I wish!  Hit me up WowAir!), but with them being new to the DFW area, I know lots of people aren't in the know about them yet.  There are quirks to flying them, but if saving some money on flights means I can travel more, then I am all in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo