Skip to main content

Europe at Christmas 2018 {Day Five~Colmar, Kaysersberg, & Riquewihr}

I wasn't really sure how Day 5 was going to play out, and that isn't how I like to do things.  I like firm plans!  Originally I planned to tour some villages around Colmar and use the holiday bus as my transportation.  A month or so before I traveled, I discovered that the bus I would depend on for Day 5 only runs on the weekend.  I looked around online and couldn't find a tour company or private driver to meet my needs (there are tour companies, but many go to the wineries, and I'm a weirdo who does NOT like wine...ok that's generous...I think wine is terrible).

When I arrived at my hotel on Day 4, the front desk employee was very nice and called around for me, and the tour company offered to drive me for €250 (that's like $285...for less than 4 hours...and less than 40 miles of driving).  I took an Uber on Day 4, and that driver said he would be available to drive me the next day for €100.

I slept in a bit on Day 5 since I had been getting up early to catch trains (and shop for skincare) almost the whole trip, and then I headed out.  I honestly wasn't sure what I was going to do.  I had tried to contact the Uber driver, but he wasn't responding.  There were public buses, but they weren't easiest mode of transportation.  The very nice lady at the front desk asked me, as I passed through the lobby, what I had decided to do.  I told her I didn't have a great answer, so she said "Let me call a taxi driver and talk to him".  After a phone call and 15 minutes, she assured me she had it all worked out.  A taxi would take me for €85.  She said he would take me, drop me off, and then come back to Colmar and drive some people, and come back for me.  I had very little trust, so I said, "he's never going to come back for me".  She assured me the hotel used him all the time and he would.  

So the taxi driver picked me up, he was very bossy about how long I needed to stay at each place, was overly nosey about why I travel alone, but he was nice and very chatty, and always picked me up on time (though I felt pretty good about it after he refused to take any money until the end of the day).

First stop, was Kaysersberg.  I got out of the taxi and walked the direction the driver pointed me toward, and this was my first view of this village.
I was instantly smitten.
I wish the Christmas market had been open during the week (that is the main reason the holiday bus doesn't run during the week), but it was still a great town to walk through and soak in all the sights, hit the shops and enjoy some food.

There was rain off and on, but that didn't dampen my enthusiasm
for this place!








Some castle ruins on the hill.
It's like walking through a fairy tale and the only thing that brings you back to reality is the armed military you pass by.  Kaysersberg also has some sad history.  There is a hill just north of town that is called "Bloody Hill" (nicknamed by German troops in WWII) because so many soldiers died on that hill.  Ultimately, the United States troops helped to liberate the Alsace region, so there is also a WWII American tank/memorial you pass when leaving town.  Most recently, Kaysersberg is the town where Anthony Bourdain took his life last year.
Some blue skies!
This is actually a very nice 5 star hotel (where Anthony was staying).  Those reindeer were animated and I loved them by the way.  Funny thing is, as I was enjoying the reindeer, the Uber driver who wouldn't call me back was dropping off some hotel guests, and literally backed into them (they were fine, but he did hit them).  I felt pretty good about my taxi driver at this point.


As you drive from village to village, there are vineyards on both sides of the road, as far as the eye can see.  The driver said it's very pretty in the spring and summer (I thought it was pretty in the winter too).
Next stop was Riquewihr.  Per Rick Steves, "this little village, wrapped in vineyards, is so picturesque today because it was so rich centuries ago...".  Riquewihr is a village that has the Christmas markets open during the week, so there was much to see here.

It was like walking through a charming gingerbread village.
But a gingerbread village with little narrow passageways that led to vineyards...



This was a Christmas store like you've never seen.  There was a path you had to follow and you had to go up stairs, down stairs, and you had to go through the whole store to get out.  No pics were allowed inside, but it was something else.



And because of the on again, off again rain/sunshine, there was a rainbow over the vineyards.
After getting back to Colmar, I headed out to see more of the town.  Taking new paths I hadn't the day before, and then some of the same.



If you follow any travel instagrammers, this scene below is kind of instagram famous.
I went back to the market for an early dinner (really, I just wanted more of that salad, but also tried the quiche)...


Enjoying the markets as the sun sets

And that's a wrap on Alsace.  I absolutely LOVED my time in Alsace.  It's so unique and a place I 100% recommend you visit.  Stay tuned...next stop is Switzerland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo