Skip to main content

Giving & Angels

Do you want to see something really, really pathetic?

This is Lola's toy "box"

yep, here is a closer-up view so you can see just how crammed in there her toys are

Do you think Lola is the most spoiled dog in the history of the world, or what?

Here is the little stinker looking for something in that heap of toys.

Oh yeah, these are in addition to the 15 or so she had strung all over the house at that moment.

What is more ridiculous is that she really plays with most of them. She keeps some sort of rotation pattern going. It is a pattern that I don't understand, but I know that in addition to the usual suspects that are always around, I constantly see something laying in the floor of the dining room or my office that I had forgotten we even owned.

So this brings me to the subject of giving. You see Lola, being the spoiled little princess that she is, get Christmas presents AND stocking stuffers (yes, she has her own monogrammed stocking hanging on her grandparent's mantle). Usually she gets something rather extravagant for her gift like...

Her Bed from Anthropology

"If my dreams would come true, bones will rain from the sky"

Her fancy pants collar...

and her stamped name id tag (my phone number is stamped on the other side)


For Lola's stocking, she always got tons of her favorite treats... cookies from Three Dog Bakery, rawhides, etc. Well, as you probably know, Lola was cut off from treats last year due to her Pancreatitis. She needs no new collar (she got the new Coach one this summer), her bed is still good, as you can see she needs new toys like she needs a whole in the head. So I have been fretting about what I'm going to get my little pup for Christmas this year. I still have no ideas, but here is the little dose of perspective I gave myself today...

Jennifer and I went to Collin Creek Mall (I'll get to that in a minute...and that will make this the longest post in history) for some Angels off the Salvation Army Angel Tree. December 14th is the deadline to turn in gifts, so we wanted to get ours. So Jennifer and I start looking at the tree and within seconds, we are both standing there teary-eyed (in fact I'm that way right now just thinking about it again). We were looking at all the Angels trying to pick out a couple that we wanted to help. How in the world do you choose between the 1 month old that needs a car seat, the 3 year old that wants some princess toys and needs new tennis shoes, the 5 year old that needs a winter coat and an educational toy, the 92 year old that needs a coat and some new slippers, the 67 year old that needs some new sheets and a bath set, etc.?

I know that I was thinking about Lola's new sweater, her toy chest, my "big dilemma" about what to get her for Christmas. I was thinking about all the things that I have and still believe that I "need". I'm sure Jennifer was thinking what it would be like if she had to request a winter coat for Joshua instead of running out to the mall and getting him one. So how did we choose? We really didn't. We grabbed everyone we could and then finally had to say, enough. Jennifer got a family of three for her, Kyle and Joshua to give to. I got a teenager because her request for a flat iron and new jacket tugged at my heartstrings. AND, of course we agreed to go halves on the baby in need of a car seat and the elderly lady who needed sheets.

They said that donations are way down, so if you can, stop by the Salvation Army Angel Tree in your area and get an angel or two. If there isn't a SA tree in your area, there is probably one somewhere. I know Nocona has an Angel Tree at the Dairy Queen, so just look around and help someone out this Holiday Season.

Now, to the mall story....

We went to Collin Creek because that was the closest mall with an Angel Tree. I try really, really hard to never go to Collin Creek. I think it is totally ghetto. It is totally hopping with gang members. Jennifer and Kyle go there more often (but they aren't gang members).

We grab our Angels and Jennifer says we should go to Sears and look for things. I swear, Sears is Jennifer and Kyle's answer to everything. If you asked them how to get world peace, they would say, go to Sears and buy it! I do not go to Sears. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Sears per se, I just don't think to shop there. The extent of my shopping experience at Sears consisted of looking through the Sears toy catalog 25 years ago and making my wish list for Santa. Maybe it was because we didn't have a Sears locally...we ran to Ben Franklin for everything, but Jennifer and Kyle's families ran to Sears.

Anyway, here is how this situation unfolded.

Setting: We walk into Sears.

Me: What in the HELL is that smell?
Jennifer: What smell?
Do you not smell that god-awful smell?
Not really.
Seriously? You don't...oh god, it's getting worse the further we go into the store!
I don't know, it just smells like a cleaner or something.
Does it always smell like this in Sears?
Yeah.
WHY do you come here then?
--------------------------
Still in Sears:

Me: Where are we going?
Jennifer: I don't know, I was following you.
WHY?! You are the queen of Sears. I don't know where anything is!
You seemed to be going in the right direction.
---------------------------

After looking for everything in Sears and not being impressed with prices:

Me: Let's get the hell out of here. I cannot stand this smell a second longer!
Why on earth do you shop here?


-------------------------------
We walk out into the open part of the mall near the food court:

Me: Good Lord, it stinks out here too!
Jennifer: This mall is just not for you. Try to single out the cotton candy smell and sniff it.

---------------------------
Heading back into JC Pennys so we can walk through to the parking lot:

Me: Oh crap! I need to pee again!
Jennifer: Remember, there are those bathrooms right by our exit that we stopped in on the way into the mall.
I know, but they stunk really bad too!
This is just not a good smelling experience for you. I'll drop off your gifts at the Angel Tree so you don't have to come back here.
Oh, thank the Lord!
-----------------------------
End Scenes


This was another one of those days when we believed that we would have made interesting reality tv. Funny thing is that many of our most humorous conversations revolve around my aversion to some sort of smell!


Go forth and give my friends, but heed my warning and for your own sake, stay away from the stinky stores!

Comments

courtney said…
so proud of y'all for helping so many angels. i agree--it's so hard to choose just one!

i also agree with collin creek--ghetto. it's really sad, too, because it used to be such a nice mall a few years ago!
I think the Sears-smell is from the tires and such. I went in there a couple weeks ago and had to leave it smelled so bad; it gave me a headache.
Traci said…
Look how generous you two are! So sweet for getting something for the older person, too. Sometimes they get forgotten.

Okay, CCMall was THE shiznit when I was in high school. That was the only place to go. Then when Stonebriar went in, we never went back. SO sad!

Not a fan of Sears, either!
Emily said…
Brian has a cousin that swears if she enters Sears she will immediately start vomiting. As a joke we gave her something from sears once, she knew right away!!

I've only bought treadmills, tires, and appliances there. Guess I've never seen the softer side!!
Emily said…
(I didn't even say, I love the angel tree!!) So good of you. I'm in search of one. We use to have one at our Walmart, but they stopped. I'm so sad!!

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo