Skip to main content

London & Brussels 2014 {Day Two~Part One}

Day two of my trip was pretty busy, and I have lots and lots of photos, so I've decided to break the post down into two parts...morning and afternoon.

I got up and took the underground to Tower Hill.  I was visiting the Tower of London first thing that morning.  I have been to the Tower a couple of times before, but I was going there specifically to see the Poppies art installation that was introduced the week before in honor of the centenary of the First World War.
Wills, Kate, and Harry had opened the installation...too bad I missed them!
 It is a progressive art installation which will eventually have 888,246 poppies by the time it is completed on November 11th.  That will be a poppy for each of the British military fatalities during the war.
It was really stunning.


I didn't go through very much of the tower, but I did walk around the White Tower and Tower Green.
I always think that Tower Green is so peaceful, but tragic when you consider those who (literally) lost their heads there.

I did go inside the jewel tower.

The Crown Jewels display was re-done by DeBeers a couple of years ago in honor of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.  I thought it well done and much better than it had been before.
(of course, no pics allowed inside)

Tower Bridge, as viewed from inside the Tower of London...



After the Tower of London, my next stop was Tower Bridge.  I had obviously seen Tower Bridge before, but had never actually walked close to it, much less over it.
It's one of those things that you think "Why didn't I do this before?!?"
I really loved walking up on the bridge.
I also was going to the Tower Bridge Exhibition (because it was included in my London Pass).



A picture from inside one of the towers, because when you get tricked into taking "the steps" instead of the lift, and you have to climb ALL THE WAY TO THE DANG TOP, and you think you are literally going to die in the stairwell, why not stop and take some pics out the window while you try to catch your breath.
The best part of the Exhibition, in my opinion, was that you got to walk across those connectors at the very top, and get a great view of the city.
Looking out toward St. Paul's.
After I left the exhibition, I wondered through the Borough of Southwark, which I had also never done.  I think it is absolutely worth doing.  You get some great views.
And I was lucky enough to see this super cute union jack boat...


This chalkboard sign called my name too...
the HMS Belfast...

Tower Bridge always gets called "London Bridge", but this is actually London Bridge.  
Not near as pretty as Tower Bridge!
I love the flowers all over London, but especially the ones that decorate the Pubs.



My next stop was Borough Market for lunch.
This is also something I had not done before, but if you are going to London, it is a MUST DO.

When I passed a booth selling drinks, I couldn't help but get myself a Pimm's Cup
Delicious!

Borough Market is a place where you can buy all sorts of great food...




and also flowers...


I surveyed the offerings, and decided to have lunch at this booth...

I opted for the Chick N' Hop, which was a "Free range British Chicken & Ham with West Country Cheddar", and a side of mashed potatoes.
It was super yum!
I didn't get to stay as long as I would have liked, and I didn't get one of those yummy desserts in that earlier pic (what was I thinking?), but I was really happy I made the visit to the market.

I headed off to tackle the rest of my to-do list for the day.  
Lots more to come in Day Two.  Stay Tuned...

Comments

Legally Lovely said…
eeeeek, this is so much fun! Thank you for all the pictures of the poppy installation; I had seen pictures from when it was opened, but not from so many angles - it makes sense to me now!

Your day looked so great. You must have done a lot of walking! That market especially looked like fun. I want to go!!

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo