Skip to main content

London & Brussels 2014 {Day Two~Part Two)

Here is my conclusion of Day Two post:

After lunch at Borough Market, I walked to Millennium Bridge.  I got a great view of the Shard on my way.  The Shard is currently the tallest building in the European Union.  There is an observation deck on the 72nd floor which I had intentions of visiting later in my trip, but it didn't end up working out.
I also passed by The Globe Theatre...
The Millennium Bridge is a foot bridge across the River Thames...
My reason for wanting to cross the MB, is that as you cross, you get a fabulous view of St. Paul's Cathedral.

and some other nice views as well...
Here is a little video I shot of the surroundings from the bridge.
Not super exciting, but at the beginning you can see The Globe Theatre, and then see how St. Paul's rises up as you cross the bridge...

I was in a bit of a rush to get to Westminster, so I didn't go around to the front of the Cathedral.
I had been here before, and in fact attended a Sunday service there.
So I just took a few quick pics of the side.
It is stunning from any side
After that, I walked down to Mansion House underground station and took the tube to Earl's Court to do a quick unload of my bag at the hotel since I had bought a bunch of stuff at the gift shops that morning.

This is the pub at the end of the street where my hotel was located.  Of course I loved it's flowers too!
After unloading, I took the tube to Westminster to see all the sights there.
Westminster Abbey was my first stop because it's tours ended first.
I had visited Westminster Abbey a couple of times before...
but I have to say that I enjoyed it more this time for a few of reasons.
First, there was a "new" audio tour.  It was narrated by Jeremy Irons, and it was easy to go at your own pace.
Second, over the past few years, I've read quite a few books about the War of the Roses, which took place between 1455 and 1487, between the House of Plantagenet and the houses of Lancaster and York.  So this time around, I was much more informed about many of the people who are laid to rest in the Abbey... as in "Oh my gosh!  There is the tomb of Margaret Beaufort!".  Total nerd alert!
Third, it was exciting to see the Abbey and remember what it looked like during the recent Royal Wedding.
I wish that photos were allowed inside, but 
you can take a few pictures once in the courtyard...


As soon as I walked outside, I saw this taxi.
PINK! LOVE IT!
Of course, I love the black taxis too, and in this area of town, they are quite plentiful!
I then walked back to the bridge toward the Palace of Westminster and Big Ben.
Big Ben is really just the clock and the bell.  It is officially called the Elizabeth Tower.
But whatever you want to call it (and I call it Big Ben), I love this icon of London!

I walked across the bridge to take some photos.  I remember I was hoping to not get rained on, but I had no idea until I looked at my photos, just how ominous the clouds were!

After my photo-op, I walked over to the London Eye.
I had booked a Flexi-Fast Pass for the day, which meant that I could ride anytime that day, and skip most of the lines.
It was the most expensive ticket option, but for my purposes, it was the right choice.
If you had asked me right after I got off of the ride if I thought it was worth it, I would have without a doubt told you "No".

But after looking at the photographs I got from that unique vantage point, I think I have changed my mind!  Here is St. Paul's in the distance.
Westminster Palace, Big Ben, and part of Westminster Abbey...


One final look at Big Ben, and then I hopped on the underground at Westminster and traveled back to Earl's Court.  I had walked a ton that day, my feet (& darn ankle) were hurting, and I decided to have dinner in my room and turn in early.
I needed to recharge my batteries because I had a very early day scheduled on Thursday.

Stay tuned for Day Three...
"Psst: It was the one I was most excited about going into my trip!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's SATC Saturday Again

First, I will start you off with a little movie... Sex and the City- All the Best Moments from the Movie. WARNING : If you haven't seen the movie, don't watch this.  Oh, and also please rectify this ASAP.  Ann-  they have the movie at your local TJ Maxx for $5.99.  I meant to buy it for you when I was there and bring it to you at Robin's party, but I got distracted by lamps and forgot (sorry!).  This week has been pretty lame-o on the updates front. All I have found is that there are reports of some drama on the set between Kim Cattrall and SJP.  Of course there have been reports in the past that these two gals didn't get along (personally I think it is just because KC is a little too big for her britches and doesn't seem to always remember that SJP is an executive producer and Carrie is, well the star ).  There are also reports that SJP is possibly a little overwhelmed with having the two new twin girls and little James Wilkie to take care of...

Join my Party

Welcome to my Christmas Shin-Dig! I've never thrown a blog party before so I'm kind of nervous, but that can just be our little secret. I have lots of things I want to include in my party, so I've decided the best way to tackle this is to do several posts, so keep scrolling down so that you don't miss a single thing that goes on at this party! I always try to have party favors when I throw a party, and this one shouldn't be an exception, so I am giving away a prize. Here are some photos of the prize All you have to do to enter is comment on one of my Christmas Party Blog entries. I will put all the names in a hat and draw a winner. I will post the winner's name on my blog on Sunday, so check back to see if this cute little Santa bubble light is coming to your house! All entry comments must be posted by 11:59 p.m. Pacific time. If this is your first trip to my blog, Welcome! Please come back and see me again!

A Blogiversary Giveaway!

One week from today will mark 2 years since I started this whole blogging thing.  I'm very excited about this blogiverary because an opportunity has come up for me to do a giveaway for you guys!  My sponsor has many websites that sell just about everything... lately I've been looking at the site for luggage  because I'm feeling the need for a new carry on bag for my upcoming trip to NOLA.  But more about the giveaway!  Here's a picture of a couple of samples... I will be giving you a set of Tervis tumblers!  If you don't know about Tervis tumblers, they are great because they keep your beverage super cold and they don't sweat all over your table!  As you can see, I'm feeling the collegiate tumblers in honor of the upcoming football season, but if you are the winner, I will give you a couple of choices: (1) You can choose from over a hundred different tumbler themes to fit your personality or lifestyle:  Texas themes, Initial...