Skip to main content

Boston & Maine 2015 {Day Five}

I woke up on Monday with plans to see as much of Boston as possible. It was really raining hard when I left the hotel, so instead of walking to catch public transportation, I hopped right into the nice dry cab that was waiting outside of the hotel.  I had him drive me down to the Harbor area where the Old Town Trolley tours leave from.  It takes a little over 2 hours to make the entire loop, so I decided to do that while it was raining.  I have done Old Town Trolley tours in other cities, and I think it is really good.  You really do get to see a lot from the Trolley, and the tour guides seem pretty knowledgeable.  Once the tour was over, I made my way over the the Legal Sea Foods at the Harbor. 

I had a great luch of shrimp, scallops, and a crab cake.

Then I set out walking toward Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.  I missed a turn for FH, so I ended up at the Old State House. 
Then as I made my way to FH and Quincy Market, I encountered a parade.





After watching the parade for a few minutes, I made my way to Faneuil Hall.

It was so darn cold.  The high that day was 46', it was raining on and off at this point, and was WINDY.  I had to get a chai tea latte at the Starbucks inside the FH to warm up!

I did a little shopping inside Quincy Market, including purchasing my Boston ornament for my Travel Christmas Tree.  I settled on the Fenway Park ornament since I was staying down near Fenway, and also had Sox tickets for the game that evening.
After I shopped, I took the trolley to their #2 stop, and walked to Paul Revere's House.

From here, I picked up the The Freedom Trail/

Next stop was The Old North Church

One if by land, two if by sea




At this point, I turned and went backward through The Freedom Trail.  This next church isn't really part of TFT, but I thought it was interesting because of the Kennedy ties.




Since I was going backwards, I went back by Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, and the Old State House again.

Next stop on the trail was the Old South Meeting House.



This was across the street from the Old South Meeting House.  Does it not look like TFT was leading right into Chipotle? 
The trail took you past Old City Hall and a statue of Ben Franklin.



Next stop was the Granary Burying Ground.
Among those buried here, Sam Adams.

This is not the grave of anyone famous, but it is really old, and I liked the carving.
I walked on to Boston Common...
Then the Massachusetts State House

Next up was Boston Public Garden, which I loved.
I love these purple flowers.  I'm not sure what they are called, but I think they look like they could be in a Dr. Seuss book. 
This is the famous "Make Way for the Ducklings" statue...
I think this pic looks like the mama duck is not all that pleased with me




A statue of Washington
At this point, I left the garden and walked down Newbury Street, which is the high end shopping street.  This was really my last thing I had to do for the day before heading back to the hotel to get ready for the Sox game.  I wasn't in for much shopping, but was headed to the Georgetown Cupcake shop that is located there!  As I walked up to GC, I got an email saying that the Sox game was cancelled!  It was rescheduled for another afternoon that week.  I was totally bummed...Another cancelled event that I was really looking forward to!
I bought so many cupcakes they had to double bag them.  They went straight into my hotel room's freezer, and I brought them home and froze them so I could enjoy them for months to come.  I also gave one of the cupcake girls my Sox ticket.
I walked all the way back to the hotel, which led me right past Fenway Park.



I got back to the hotel and was so cold, I took a shower to warm up.  I then decided to just be boring again, and headed back to the Yard House (that Cider is amazing I'm telling ya), and headed back to the movie theatre to see "Pitch Perfect 2".  At the time I made this pic collage, I had walked a lot, but it ended up being 19,677 steps (8.72 miles) for the day...
and I was tired!

Stay tuned for Day 6 of the trip... I only had 1/2 day left in Boston!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo