Skip to main content

Packing & Travel Tips


The good news is, you are going to Europe, anything you forget, you can buy there.  That being said, I like to be as prepared as possible, because who wants to spend vacation time trying to buy a plug adapter?

These are some things I like to always pack for a trip to Europe:

Adapters vs. Converters

An Adapter makes our US plugs fit into their different shaped plugs, while a converter actually changes the voltage for our US products.  For the most part, adapters are all you will need in today's times because most of our plugs are ok to use with a range of voltage.  iPhones, camera chargers, etc. generally work with an adapter only.  The way to tell is to look at the writing on the back of your charger.  If it has a range, then it is good for those voltages.  Adapters are relatively cheap and can be purchased at travel/luggage stores, or even just on Amazon.  I google the place I'm going, and find out what type of plugs they have.  Be aware that it can change from country to country in Europe, and even within the country (I'm looking at your Italy).  I like to have at least 2, but usually get 3 (and often they come in 3 packs)


Things that typically don't work with just an adapter are hair dryers, curling irons, flat irons, etc.  Good luck getting those to work with converters.  I have never had much success.  So I just use the hair dryer in the room because it's not worth the trouble to bring your own.  If you just can't live without these type of products, you probably want to do some research so you don't ruin it.  You can purchase converters at the same type of places, and maybe even in the luggage section of Walmart, Target, etc.  

Selfie Stick

Are the obnoxious?  Yes.  
Will you feel silly using it?  Maybe. 
Will you see thousands of people using them?  Absolutely.  

I know the argument against them is that you could just simply ask someone to take your photo.  While this is true, here is why I'm against it.  First of all, we are most likely talking about you handing them your phone.  Your lifeline.  An $800+ device.  Would you hand a stranger $800 to hold on to for you?  No?  You wouldn't?  Then don't give them your phone!  Same goes for a camera.

Second, I have rarely ever been happy with a photo that a stranger took of me.  I never want to ask them to take it again.  If you are in charge of your own picture, then you can take as many as you need to be satisfied with the picture.

Third, I think of my selfie stick as a bit of a weapon.  I could whack someone good with it...so bonus!

Just be mindful that museums, palaces, etc. will likely not allow you to walk around with your selfie stick inside the buildings.

Proper Clothing

I try hard not to look like a tourist, but walking around with my camera kind of spoils that for me.  But I try really hard not to look like an American tourist.  Like it or not, we aren't everyone's favorite, so I don't want to stand out.  That being said, I think that translates into dressing nice.  No tennis shoes.  No shorts.  No ball caps.  These 3 things will make you stick out like a red, white, and blue sore thumb!  Another thing I'm not packing on my upcoming trip...plaid.  We wear lots of plaid here, but I swear I was the only person in Italy with a plaid shirt on earlier this year!

Obviously you want to be mindful of the seasons and pack according to those needs.  I prefer traveling in December and January, so you have to be prepared for some cold weather.  Last year, I got a great packable Bernardo down parka from Nordstrom.  This is this year's version, but mine is similar...


I like to take 2 scarves and 2 pair of warm gloves (in case I lose one, which has happened), and some sort of hat.  

I also like to pack a couple of cuddle dud tops for layering in case it's really cold (I found some at Sam's Club a couple of years ago for a great price).  For the bottom half, I prefer to take fleece lined tights.  They provide a warm layer without bulk, and work especially well if you are wearing leggings or skinny jeans.  The fleece lined tights can be trickier to find (fleece lined leggings seem more common), but I think they are worth the search.  I've purchased some at Target and at Nordstrom Rack.

I often will throw in some hand warmers.  If it gets really cold, you could put them inside your gloves, but I often just carry them in my pockets and I can stick my hands in when they need a warming up. 

For the rest of clothes, I often take:

Cashmere Sweaters (these are similar to ones I got at Neiman's on clearance)
A vest to layer under my coat if it's really cold
A cardigan
Tunics/Dresses to wear with leggings underneath

Shoes

Ok, so I told you to leave your tennis shoes at home, now what are you suppose to wear?  In the Summer, I've worn slip on style sneakers like these (These are Tom's Avalons.  They are a fav)...
Or basic Tom's...
And OMG.  I LOVE my Tieks.  
And I know Crocs are NOT cool, but dang they are comfy.  And waterproof.  If cold isn't an issue, then I have traveled with some Croc Ballet flats that don't automatically look like crocs.  They were great.  (These aren't mine, but are similar-ish)...
Here I was walking the Freedom Trail in a rainy Boston in them, but I've also worn them in London and Quebec...

My last two winter trips to Europe I wore boots similar to these...

Because of my love for the Crocs ballet flats when it's raining, I ordered Crocs boots two years ago.  They worked great one day, then the next day it had been raining.  I swear I almost killed myself on the cobblestone streets and bridges of Prague.  I don't know why, but they were so slick.  I went back to the hotel and took them off, and returned them once I got home.  I don't know if I had a faulty pair or what.  But they were comfy.  Moral of this story, don't bring just one pair unless you KNOW they will be everything you need them to be.


This year, I've ordered these Uggs.  They are waterproof and have great reviews, so I'm hopeful they will be everything I want them to be on my upcoming trip.

So that's a round-up on things I like to pack when traveling to Europe.  Hopefully it was helpful!

More of My Posts About Travel



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo