Skip to main content

Montreal & Quebec City {Day 4}

The fourth day of my trip was dedicated to Quebec City.  The historic part of Quebec City (Vieux-Quebec), is divided into to parts... Upper Town (Haute-Ville) and Lower Town (Basse-Ville).  My hotel was in the upper town portion, so I explored it before heading to the lower portion later in the day.

Basilique Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Québec was my first stop

Then I stopped at a Christmas store located just across the street where I selected the QC ornament that I was buying for my travel tree.

I wondered around the curvy and very hilly streets
The Historic District of Québec is a UNESCO site.
Fairmont Le Château Frontenac is the most photographed landmark in Québec City.
I really wanted to join the esteemed list of guests who have stayed here including: The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge, QEII, Prince Grace, as well as FDR & Winston Churchill who met here in 1943 and 1945 for two wartime conferences, but I never really found a price less than $400+ a night.
There is a boardwalk around the hotel and you get some great views 




After walking around the Château, I headed toward Lower Town.  You can take a funicular up and down to lower town, or take a set of stairs.  I headed down the stairs known as L'Escalier Casse-Cou, which translates to "Breakneck Stairs".  I haven't always been known to navigate stairs without doing injuring myself, so I was very happy to make it down without breaking my neck (or anything else).
This is the first part of lower town you come to, and it is filled with lots of stores and boutiques.
I walked through the Place Royale, which is the quaintest cobblestone square you will ever see.


I ended up making my way to Cafe Saint Malo for lunch.  It's a small restaurant, and didn't really seem to draw lots of tourists like other Cafes you see in the area, but they had a pretty good crowd of locals.  I think that is always a good sign.  I had read about CSM prior to going on the trip and made a note in my travel book to look for it.

I ordered a warm goat cheese salad that was SO good.
I also ordered an omelet & frites.  It was very good.
I walked along the Antiques district, but a lot of the shops were closed since it was Sunday.  I then made my way to the Marché du Vieux-Port (Old Port Market).  You can get all sorts of things there, from Candy...
 to flowers...
beautiful fruit...
and vegetables.  There are lots of cheese, meat, wine, etc. too.  I bought another basket of strawberries because I had already almost plowed through the ones I bought the day before. 
I backtracked through lower town and back through Place Royale



I wondered back to the Funicular for a ride to the upper town
I lucked out and was the last one to load onto the car, so I was able to get great pics as we went up the hill.



Once I was back in upper town, I went inside the Château to look around.



I walked through a little market by Cathedral of the Holy Trinity where I found a Crepe stand.

I got a lemon crepe.



For dinner, I went to Chez Boulay Bistro Boreal.  The cuisine is all inspired by northern Québec.  It was the most pricey meal of my whole trip, but everything I had was amazing.

I started with a cocktail of Ungava gin, raspberries, grown cherries and ginger ale.
I'm not 100% sure what was in this salad, but it was very good.
I had the seared scallop and monkfish wrapped in bacon, barley risotto with corn and seaweed, sauce vierge with organic blackcurrant balsamic for my main course.
For dessert, I had the Sea buckthorn and meringue pie, pine forest spikenard crème anglaise.  It was very good!  I had no idea what sea buckthorns were, so the waitress brought me some to taste before I ordered.  They are tart, so kind of like a lemon pie.  
I really enjoyed my first day in Quebec City.  This 17th Century city is very well preserved and I love walking through history.  Stay tuned for my last two days in Quebec City!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo