Skip to main content

Italy for the New Year {Venice & Milan- Day 7}

The last full day of my vacation was on January 5th.   I spent a few hours in Venice before my 10:50 train out of Venezia San Lucia to Milano Centrale.  I went to St. Mark's Square first thing just to take in the sights of Venice one last time without crowds...

A classic Venice scene...
The day before I made sure I could find the taxi dock where I arrived, and I even walked down there to make sure taxis were available.  The day before there were 4 or 5 docked there.  

That morning when I needed one, there were none.  Of course!

I went to the end of the dock and tried to flag down some that I saw driving by.  I guess they don't do that?  Because they all looked at me like I was deranged.  

I yelled over at some Gondoliers and asked how to get a taxi.  They suggested I walk to San Mark's Square dock.  I could do that, but I had luggage, and the streets are not great for rolling luggage, plus you factor in all the bridges, and that didn't seem like it should be Plan B.  Plan C maybe.  But not Plan B.

I walked to a very close hotel, and they were nice enough to call a taxi for me.  Turns out the taxi cost 5 euros more to go back to the train station!  Some sights along the way that I snapped with my phone...

So THIS is in fact the most expensive taxi ride ever....
The view from the train as it crosses the bridge out of Venice...
The train station in Verona...
I arrived in Milan at 1:15.  I took a cab to my hotel (a different one than I had stayed at the week before...more on it at the bottom of the post).  I honestly didn't do a ton that day.  I meandered around the streets, stopped in some shops, but my goal was to go back to the Galleria Vitorio Emanuele II and Plaza del Duomo for some nighttime pics. 

Even on the second viewing, I couldn't get over the Galleria.

 The sun was setting pretty early, but it wasn't quite dark yet.  I stopped in the Prada owned Marchesi patisserie which is located on the second floor of the Galleria.
 I got a great seat, and though I didn't see an afternoon set tea on the menu, I created my own with a pot of Earl Grey, some sandwiches...
 one of the blackberry mini-tarts...
 and one of the mini cream puffs.
 I was connected to their wifi, so I enjoyed sitting here for a good while.
Not a shabby view either!
 After I was done with my tea, I headed out to the plaza for those night photos of the Duomo...

 The Galleria exterior...
 The interior at night is breathtaking...





 Another building across from the Duomo and the Christmas market stalls...


 I went back to my hotel to try and figure out dinner.  I passed lots of fun decor on the way...
 I ended up going down to the "river" or the canal for dinner.  I wish I had remembered to bring my real camera because the lights strung over the canal were so pretty...
 Dinner was just ok, but I grabbed a final gelato to eat on the walk back to the metro stop

 One final look at the Galleria...

For my last night in Italy, I was staying at the Hotel Capitol in Milan.  Again I got this by blind booking off of Hotwire.  I had also booked the single room here, but they upgraded me!  Hooray!  After being cooped up in the small red room in Venice, and sleeping on twin beds for a week in general, I was ready for some space!
 And the TV here had CNN International.  Oh how I was having CNN withdrawals, and also, if I had to watch the same BBC stories again, I thought I was going to lose my mind!


The next day was a very long travel day.  I took the Malpensa Express again to the airport in Milan, but this time from the Cardona station instead of Centrale (because Cardona was close to this hotel).  I flew from Milan to JFK, and then on to DFW.

Thanks for following along with my New Year trip to Italy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo