Skip to main content

Charleston

We left Fayetteville, NC on Thursday morning and drove to Charleston. Jenn had been to Charleston over the 4th of July, but I had never been, so I thought we should make a detour while passing through that general vicinity of the country. It is the place where Rhett Butler is from after all.

He apparently runs a t-shirt shop.

We took a tour on a carriage. We used the tour company that Southern Living just rated as the best and I will agree that it is good. My one complaint isn't about the tour company, but the way the city makes the tours run. They have 3 or 4 routes. Each carriage, no matter which company you use, has to draw a "lottery ball" as you leave the starting point. Then you have to follow that path, so you don't get to see everything. Not seeing everything is a BIG DEAL for me! Also, if you wanted to pony up the cash for another tour, there is no way to guarantee that you would get on a different one. So this system kind of sucks.



Our lottery ball drove us down by the water past many pretty houses.


This is the median down by the waterfront. It is line with Palmettos and Oleander bushes. The Southern ladies used the Oleander a lot to make tea for the Yankee soldiers...it's poisonous you know.


We did not get to see Rainbow Row on our tour, so I located it on the map and went myself.

We walked around the market too. Ladies sit in the market making these sweet grass baskets. They are very expensive, like a big one will be $250-$350. (I must confess I don't like them very much)

After we left the downtown, we sought out Sugar Bakeshop.

It's such a lovely place!

Really, my dream place to own.

Then we went to dinner at Hominy Grill

Where we shared an appetizer of...



and





for the main course.

Then, we (sadly) shared the best coconut cake I've ever had in my entire life!

The employees wear these shirts with Hominy Grill's motto on them. I should have bought one! Huge Regret!

It would have been a lovely companion to the "Tastes Like Butter" shirt that I SHOULD have bought at the Paula Deen store in Savannah!


After dinner, I left a little part of my heart & soul in Charleston and we headed to Savannah.

Stay tuned...

Comments

Abby said…
Sounds like a trip my husband won't care to go on...so if you need to go again and want to draw another lottery ball...pick me!!
Abby said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scrappy Girl said…
What a nice stop on your trip. Bummer on the lottery...doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Popular posts from this blog

It's SATC Saturday Again

First, I will start you off with a little movie... Sex and the City- All the Best Moments from the Movie. WARNING : If you haven't seen the movie, don't watch this.  Oh, and also please rectify this ASAP.  Ann-  they have the movie at your local TJ Maxx for $5.99.  I meant to buy it for you when I was there and bring it to you at Robin's party, but I got distracted by lamps and forgot (sorry!).  This week has been pretty lame-o on the updates front. All I have found is that there are reports of some drama on the set between Kim Cattrall and SJP.  Of course there have been reports in the past that these two gals didn't get along (personally I think it is just because KC is a little too big for her britches and doesn't seem to always remember that SJP is an executive producer and Carrie is, well the star ).  There are also reports that SJP is possibly a little overwhelmed with having the two new twin girls and little James Wilkie to take care of...

Join my Party

Welcome to my Christmas Shin-Dig! I've never thrown a blog party before so I'm kind of nervous, but that can just be our little secret. I have lots of things I want to include in my party, so I've decided the best way to tackle this is to do several posts, so keep scrolling down so that you don't miss a single thing that goes on at this party! I always try to have party favors when I throw a party, and this one shouldn't be an exception, so I am giving away a prize. Here are some photos of the prize All you have to do to enter is comment on one of my Christmas Party Blog entries. I will put all the names in a hat and draw a winner. I will post the winner's name on my blog on Sunday, so check back to see if this cute little Santa bubble light is coming to your house! All entry comments must be posted by 11:59 p.m. Pacific time. If this is your first trip to my blog, Welcome! Please come back and see me again!

A Blogiversary Giveaway!

One week from today will mark 2 years since I started this whole blogging thing.  I'm very excited about this blogiverary because an opportunity has come up for me to do a giveaway for you guys!  My sponsor has many websites that sell just about everything... lately I've been looking at the site for luggage  because I'm feeling the need for a new carry on bag for my upcoming trip to NOLA.  But more about the giveaway!  Here's a picture of a couple of samples... I will be giving you a set of Tervis tumblers!  If you don't know about Tervis tumblers, they are great because they keep your beverage super cold and they don't sweat all over your table!  As you can see, I'm feeling the collegiate tumblers in honor of the upcoming football season, but if you are the winner, I will give you a couple of choices: (1) You can choose from over a hundred different tumbler themes to fit your personality or lifestyle:  Texas themes, Initial...