Skip to main content

A Heatwave & my garden

It's been  quite the summer... HOT & DRY.  It is so depressing to watch the weather portion of the news this time of year in Texas.  The only thing to watch for is to find out how much over 100' the temps will be.

I tried to plant things this spring that I thought could take the Texas heat, but I had no idea they would be put to this kind of test.  Surprisingly, they are holding up pretty well.  Of course, my water bill is quite high too!

I know most of you could care less about this, but I'm blogging these pictures for my own benefit.  This way, I can look back next year and see what did well, when it comes time to plant again.

I love that it seems the hotter it gets, the better the Hibiscus do!
Of course, they need full sun, which is why I cannot plant them most places in my garden.
I love that they are a little bit of tropical in my world everyday!
I think I've found what works best in this large planter...coleus, perilla magilla & sweet potato vines
The gerber daisies are still hanging in there too...
Geraniums, even maverick geraniums, just can't seem to hang this time of year.
But Angelonia has been my surprise hit of the year (thanks for the tip Mom).
I've also had good luck with the wave petunias, and of course, you can't keep the sweet potato vines down.
In front, I've had luck with SP vines, and the coleus are doing so-so.  But the perilla magillas are yet again super stars.
I'm happy to have found a place or two where Dragon Wing Begonias are happy...
I love their exotic looking blooms...
But I need to remember that I'm not near as fond of the Angel Wing Begonias.

Hope you, your pets, and your plants are holding up in this heat (and that seems to cover just about everywhere right now, except the west coast)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's SATC Saturday Again

First, I will start you off with a little movie... Sex and the City- All the Best Moments from the Movie. WARNING : If you haven't seen the movie, don't watch this.  Oh, and also please rectify this ASAP.  Ann-  they have the movie at your local TJ Maxx for $5.99.  I meant to buy it for you when I was there and bring it to you at Robin's party, but I got distracted by lamps and forgot (sorry!).  This week has been pretty lame-o on the updates front. All I have found is that there are reports of some drama on the set between Kim Cattrall and SJP.  Of course there have been reports in the past that these two gals didn't get along (personally I think it is just because KC is a little too big for her britches and doesn't seem to always remember that SJP is an executive producer and Carrie is, well the star ).  There are also reports that SJP is possibly a little overwhelmed with having the two new twin girls and little James Wilkie to take care of...

Join my Party

Welcome to my Christmas Shin-Dig! I've never thrown a blog party before so I'm kind of nervous, but that can just be our little secret. I have lots of things I want to include in my party, so I've decided the best way to tackle this is to do several posts, so keep scrolling down so that you don't miss a single thing that goes on at this party! I always try to have party favors when I throw a party, and this one shouldn't be an exception, so I am giving away a prize. Here are some photos of the prize All you have to do to enter is comment on one of my Christmas Party Blog entries. I will put all the names in a hat and draw a winner. I will post the winner's name on my blog on Sunday, so check back to see if this cute little Santa bubble light is coming to your house! All entry comments must be posted by 11:59 p.m. Pacific time. If this is your first trip to my blog, Welcome! Please come back and see me again!

A Blogiversary Giveaway!

One week from today will mark 2 years since I started this whole blogging thing.  I'm very excited about this blogiverary because an opportunity has come up for me to do a giveaway for you guys!  My sponsor has many websites that sell just about everything... lately I've been looking at the site for luggage  because I'm feeling the need for a new carry on bag for my upcoming trip to NOLA.  But more about the giveaway!  Here's a picture of a couple of samples... I will be giving you a set of Tervis tumblers!  If you don't know about Tervis tumblers, they are great because they keep your beverage super cold and they don't sweat all over your table!  As you can see, I'm feeling the collegiate tumblers in honor of the upcoming football season, but if you are the winner, I will give you a couple of choices: (1) You can choose from over a hundred different tumbler themes to fit your personality or lifestyle:  Texas themes, Initial...