Day Three had me up and out of the hotel before the crack of dawn. I took an Uber to Gare de l'Est for my 7:20 train to Strasbourg. I arrived at 9:20, so I had a full day in Strasbourg.
FYI: I was there exactly one week after the terrorist attack that took 5 lives. The shootings were a mere 30 yards or so from my hotel. This caused lots of apprehension leading up to my departure because they didn't kill the attacker until the day before I left. I contemplated skipping Strasbourg, but ultimately decided it was probably the safest place to be due to the enhanced police presence.
After dropping my bags at the hotel, I went to the Strasbourg Cathedral of Notre Dame.
I walked around some of the markets, but it was still early, so I headed out to see Strasbourg...
This day had the coldest temps of the whole trip!
La Petite France...
Back in the historical center of Strasbourg, a glimpse of the Cathedral...
One of the memorials where victims were shot...
Another honoring all 5 victims....
I grabbed this in a bakery, and went to check into my room. My room was a little apartment, so I was able to heat it up. It was good!
In the evening, the lights really bring out Strasbourg's beauty...
It's even better with sound (video below)
One street had Baccarat crystal chandeliers every few feet...
These decorations were above a butcher shop...
At the Chistkindelsmärik, I had the best crepe of my life. It was salted caramel, and in case you thought I was kidding, I wasn't... The best of my life! Here it is being made...
Galeries Lafayette was a pretty magenta...
This reindeer was singing and extremely cute. I have a video of the cuteness saved in my instastories highlights.
Strasbourg has been having Christmas markets since 1570, making it the oldest market in France, and one of the oldest in Europe, and they do it right. The decorations are delightful!
I wanted a hotel close to the markets, but one that didn't break the bank, so I settled on Adagio Strasbourg Place Kleber. It is right at the heart of everything. They are small apartments, and the beds fold up if you want to use them as a couch. This couch/bed thing almost made me not book here, but the location won me over, and it was fine. They were perfectly comfortable.
They had kitchens, which I enjoyed for heating my lunch, and keeping sodas and water cool.
That's a wrap on Strasbourg. Stay tuned for Day 4 when I go farther into the Alsace region of France.











































Comments