Skip to main content

Spain {Day 1 ~ Madrid}

On December 14th, I left out for Spain.  I flew in and out of Madrid, but the rest of my trip was primarily in the Andalucia region.  I was very happy to see my checked bag once I arrived in Madrid.  They forgot to scan it when they put it on the plane, so when I checked before taking off, it didn't look like my bag was on board.  Thankfully it was!
I arrived about 8:50 a.m., cleared customs and got my luggage pretty quickly.  I took a taxi into Madrid and arrived way too early for hotel check-in.  They told me they should have a room in about an hour, so I didn't bother to change clothes or freshen up, I just headed out walking.  I walked the very short distance from my hotel to Puerto del Sol.  I looked around and decided I could use some food, and headed to the Chocolateria San Gines...
 After a bit of a line, I got what everyone comes for...  Churros and chocolate.

The churros aren't as sweet as the churros we get here, and the chocolate is definitely not sweet, but very rich.  You dip the churros in the chocolate.  I saw people drinking the chocolate or using a spoon to eat it.  I was only able to use it for dipping...it was too much!
I walked around and killed some more time, and then finally got into my hotel room.  I freshened up, changed clothes, and then headed out on foot.  First stop was the Royal Palace.


 This is Almundena Cathedral, but it was closed for tours because it was Sunday.



 The beginning part of the palace tour allowed photos, but then they didn't allow them further in.




 This is in the Royal Chapel.  Which does not allow photos.  But there wasn't a no photos sign, so I didn't discover it was no photos until I snapped these two and was yelled at (in Spanish of course, but I got the gist).

After touring the Palace, I decided I needed more food, so I went to the Mercado de San Miguel.  It's a wonderful market of food stalls and lots of yummy looking food, but it was so crowded you could barely move.

 I got a couple of the empanadas.  I didn't care for a Salmon one I got, but thought the Carmelized Onion, Cheese, and Honey was really good.
 I then walked to the largest plaza in Madrid, the Plaza Mayor.  They also have a big Christmas market.

 This led to my discovery that Spanish Christmas markets are in general crap (I eventually found two exceptions to this rule).  Like they sell only crap.  You can't even buy an ornament.  But if it's crap you want, you came to the right place.

I wondered around for a bit more time, but ultimately crashed about 7:30 that night.  Given that I had less than 2 hours of sleep on the plane, I decided to get a good night's sleep and hit the ground running the next day.

For my first two nights in Madrid, I stayed at the Hotel Liabeny.  It's in a great location just steps away from the Puerto del Sol.  I think about half of the hotel has been renovated, and they charge more for those rooms.  The renovated room wasn't what I had originally booked, but it was the room that was available first that day, so I upgraded for about $25 per night extra.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo