Skip to main content

Spain 2019 {Day 4/Part 1 ~ Sevilla}

Wednesday, December 18th was a packed day of sightseeing in Sevilla.  I saw so much, and after I had uploaded 102 pictures for this day's post, I decided I had better split day 4 into two parts as well!

I started with a short walk from my hotel to the Royal Alcázar.  For some reason, my phone's map sent me on a rabbit trail through the Barrio Santa Cruz, but I came out of the twists and turns to this great view of the sun shining on the Cathedral.

The Royal Alcázar (Real Alcázar in Spanish) is like many other sights in this part of Spain... originally a palace in the 10th century for the Moorish state governors, then taken over by the Spanish Royalty in later years.  The core of the palace was rebuild beginning in the 1330's by Muslim workmen for the Christian King, Pedro I.  Pedro was either called "the Cruel" or "the Just" depending on your own personal outcomes with him.  This is actually still functioning as one of the royal family's homes, which makes it the oldest in Europe that is still in use.

The Royal Alcázar requires advance purchase of tickets.  No question.  I had a friend visit a month or so before I went and they didn't buy advance tickets and they didn't get in.  (The Christmas Ornament that I bought here is that lion)
Again, early bird beats the crowds!  
It's just me and the Royal Palace!  Ok, it wasn't just me, but it just about was!

I had a timed ticket for the Cuarto Real Alto, or Upper Royal Apartments.  You had to buy an additional ticket to see those.  I have never experienced security like I did for the Cuarto Real Alto.  

To get into the Alcázar to begin with, you had to put your bags through scanners and go through metal detectors.  When you got up to where your tour starts at the Cuarto Real Alto, you had to put your things through a scanner again, and then lock them up in a locker.  You couldn't take your phone or camera inside.  No sneaking pictures!  So I have no pics to show you of the Royal Apartments, but they were spectacular. 

 I was early for the tour, so I asked questions about the Royal Family's use of the Alcázar.  It seems they use it on average of about once per year.  Sometimes twice a year, sometimes not for two years.  They have another residence they stay at in Sevilla, plus there is a hotel where they will stay as well.  The entire Alcázar has to be shut down if they stay there, so I'm sure it's just easier to stay somewhere else.
This is the Courtyard of the Maidens

The Cuarto Real Alto was all on the second floor above this courtyard.  You got a great look at it from above.
I walked through here a few hours later as I was leaving and you cannot believe how crowded it was.
This is the ceiling and walls along the Courtyard.  The upper residences were very much like this.
I didn't have the audio tour (confession: I HATE audio tours for the most part) so I wondered around for several hours taking it all in and reading my guide books when needed.

The King's tearoom



It was a nice day to wonder the vast gardens...
Moon was still showing itself...



Underground swimming caves to help cool off in the sweltering summer heat...
This is the Mercury Pond which was a reservoir fed by a 16th Century aqueduct that irrigated the entire garden...
One of the palace residents...











This ceiling!





After the Alcazar, I had time to eat before I had tickets to the Cathedral.  This is one of the buildings across from the Cathedral.
Pope John Paul II statue and orange trees...
This is the "straightest" shot from the Cathedral to my hotel (even though there are several twists and turns still).  The restaurant I had liked so much, La Azotea, was just there on the right.
It was almost noon when I went for lunch, to be asked if I wanted breakfast.  At this point, I realized I was never going to be on the Spanish food schedule!  After seeing so many oranges, I had to have some fresh squeezed juice...
and a breakfast (lunch) sandwich...
Stay tuned for Part 2 of my day in Sevilla

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's SATC Saturday Again

First, I will start you off with a little movie... Sex and the City- All the Best Moments from the Movie. WARNING : If you haven't seen the movie, don't watch this.  Oh, and also please rectify this ASAP.  Ann-  they have the movie at your local TJ Maxx for $5.99.  I meant to buy it for you when I was there and bring it to you at Robin's party, but I got distracted by lamps and forgot (sorry!).  This week has been pretty lame-o on the updates front. All I have found is that there are reports of some drama on the set between Kim Cattrall and SJP.  Of course there have been reports in the past that these two gals didn't get along (personally I think it is just because KC is a little too big for her britches and doesn't seem to always remember that SJP is an executive producer and Carrie is, well the star ).  There are also reports that SJP is possibly a little overwhelmed with having the two new twin girls and little James Wilkie to take care of...

Join my Party

Welcome to my Christmas Shin-Dig! I've never thrown a blog party before so I'm kind of nervous, but that can just be our little secret. I have lots of things I want to include in my party, so I've decided the best way to tackle this is to do several posts, so keep scrolling down so that you don't miss a single thing that goes on at this party! I always try to have party favors when I throw a party, and this one shouldn't be an exception, so I am giving away a prize. Here are some photos of the prize All you have to do to enter is comment on one of my Christmas Party Blog entries. I will put all the names in a hat and draw a winner. I will post the winner's name on my blog on Sunday, so check back to see if this cute little Santa bubble light is coming to your house! All entry comments must be posted by 11:59 p.m. Pacific time. If this is your first trip to my blog, Welcome! Please come back and see me again!

A Blogiversary Giveaway!

One week from today will mark 2 years since I started this whole blogging thing.  I'm very excited about this blogiverary because an opportunity has come up for me to do a giveaway for you guys!  My sponsor has many websites that sell just about everything... lately I've been looking at the site for luggage  because I'm feeling the need for a new carry on bag for my upcoming trip to NOLA.  But more about the giveaway!  Here's a picture of a couple of samples... I will be giving you a set of Tervis tumblers!  If you don't know about Tervis tumblers, they are great because they keep your beverage super cold and they don't sweat all over your table!  As you can see, I'm feeling the collegiate tumblers in honor of the upcoming football season, but if you are the winner, I will give you a couple of choices: (1) You can choose from over a hundred different tumbler themes to fit your personality or lifestyle:  Texas themes, Initial...