Skip to main content

Spain {Day 5 & Day 6/Part 1 ~ Granada}

On Thursday, December 19th, I planned to wake up in Sevilla, wonder around some that morning and then take a taxi at 11:00 to the station to head to Granada.  I woke up and it was pouring down rain.  I mean cats and dogs people.  I had been up pretty late watching the Impeachment (thanks BBC), so I decided to be lazy and not venture out.

Thankfully, the taxi that the hotel called managed to pull up on the "street" right in front of the hotel, so I didn't have to walk to the end of the lane in the rain.  He took me to the bus station.  Now, let me tell you about THAT.  I don't really rough it on vacation.  I am used to taking first class train cars (or business class because in some countries that's actually nicer than 1st class).  I have NEVER taken the bus anywhere.  I was taking the bus to Granada because the train tracks were under construction (have been for several years apparently), and if you take the train, then you have to get off the train at a certain point and the train company buses you the rest of the way.  All total, you save about 45 minutes to just take a bus to begin with.  So I bought a bus ticket with much apprehension.

The ALSA bus wasn't bad.  It wasn't a first class seat on a train either, but better than I had feared.  As I said in an instastory, I wasn't traumatized by it, and I feared I would be.  The ride was pretty...lots of olive orchards, hills, some mountains.  I watched The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, read, and napped on the 3 hour trip.  I arrived in Granada at 3:00 and took a taxi to my hotel (more on the hotel in a bit).  

I was starving (and hey!  Finally on the Spanish food schedule!) so I headed out to Bodegas Castañeda.  The hotel and Rick Steves had recommended it...
I was pretty underwhelmed though.  I have no idea what this is.  This was the free tapas that you got for ordering a drink.  It was the best thing I ate.
 The Sangria was not great.  More wine than liquor and I do not like wine.
 I ordered two different tapas.  One was a ham and cheese, which was fine.  The other was pork loin, which surprise, came with a tomato.  It wasn't great either.  But I wasn't starving anymore, so that was the point.
I walked around for a bit.  I went to a pastry shop and bought some snacks for later.  I wondered around the Alcaicería, which was a Moorish silk market that sold silver, spices, and silk.  Now it's full of souvenir shops.  I failed to take one picture! Ugh!

Then I went to the Granada Cathedral.











 After the Cathedral I went to the Royal Chapel or Capilla Real (not connected to the Cathedral).  Queen Isabel and King Ferdinand, the Catholic Monarchs who drove home the end of the Reconquista, are buried here.  They decided to be buried here, instead of in Toledo as they had originally planned, after they conquered the last Moorish capital.

There are actually 4 royal tombs here:  Isabel, Ferdinand, and then their daughter who succeeded them and her husband... Philip the Handsome and Juana the Mad.  She was said to be nuttier than a fruitcake and was in fact declared insane and institutionalized.  They didn't allow pics inside the Chapel, but here is the outside...


I wondered around a bit more and looked at a few more stores and plazas, and then I called it a night.

I was staying at the Eurostars Cathedral Hotel.  This is a fairly new hotel, and didn't have a lot of reviews, but I took a chance on it.  Now, when I booked my hotel, I knew it was close to the cathedral.  But close doesn't being to describe it, so watch this video...
I experienced some technical difficulties (something got switched on my camera which made the photos blurry, but I was also having contact lens struggles and I thought it was just my contacts.) so I only have some fuzzy pics of the room.  But I LOVED this hotel and room, so I'm showing you anyway!


 My room was on like a 1/2 floor.  That doesn't make any sense, but it was kind of between the first and second floor.  There were only five rooms around this little courtyard.
Here's a video room tour I did on instagram...


On Friday, December 20th, I was so excited because I had tickets to the Alhambra.  The Alhambra was the main catalyst for my trip to Spain.  You have to get tickets 3 months in advance, as it is a very popular attraction.  This was a Moorish palace until 1492, when the Reconquista was completed, and then Ferdinand and Isabel moved in.

The Alhambra is four sights all together:
(1) Palacios Nazaries
(2) Charles V's Palace
(3) Generalife Gardens
(4) Alcazaba Fort

In this post I'm going to cover 2-4 and I'm saving my multitude of pics of the Nazaries for the next post.

First, I took zero pictures of Charles V's Palace.  I did however buy Lola a stuffed lion in the gift shop  inside that portion :-)

The is the Alcazaba Fort.  It is the original portion of the complex, from the mid-13th Century.  This tower defended a town of a 2000 Muslims that lived within the Alhambra walls.

You can climb to the top of the towers for views of the mountains (the Sierra Nevada, where you can actually ski) and the town, but the weather was just plain terrible the day I was there, that I didn't bother.  The views weren't great due to the rain and clouds.
This is looking at where you enter the Palacios Nazaries.
I was early for my entry time to the Nazaries, so I sat inside this gate.  There were seats on both sides and it was a great place to read my guide book out of the pouring rain.
This was as you exited the Nazaries into the Partal Gardens.
Part of the palace still stands...









This is the Generalife Gardens... They were the sultan's vegetable and fruit orchards just outside the Alhambra walls.
Seeking a minute out of the pouring rain...

This moody pic matches the weather...


The White Palace.  This was where the Moorish kings re-created an Arabian garden.  This garden was said to be the closest thing on earth to the Quran's description of heaven, and it was planted more than 600 years ago.

I cut my visit to the gardens shorter than I would have liked, but I was soaked.  I wanted to find a taxi back to the hotel, but that didn't work, so I waited and waited on a bus.  The bus never came, so I schlepped back to the hotel on foot.  It was only about a 20 minutes walk, but again, it was raining so much.  I did get to see a large part of Granada on my walk though.

Stay tuned for the Palace.  It is truly amazing...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo