Skip to main content

Dining Room Refresh

I've been wanting to redecorate my dining room for some time.  Here's a set of before pics (I could only find pics from Christmas).  This is a few years ago...


And here are a couple I stole from my instagram from December 2019...


I kept thinking curtains was the starting point, because I was O-V-E-R the gold ones, but I could never find any new ones I liked.  Finally, in November, I decided to start with art.  First, I found good homes for the art that was already in there.  Then I went on a huge search for art.  There was lots of trial and error, but I finally thought I had art I liked by mid-November.  You can see a peek of the big one I purchased from Pier 1 in the pic above, but here is what it looked like in full.
I also bought this double set at Homegoods for the other wall...

And then I was just stuck.  I didn't feel like moving forward.  Sure, the holidays were in the mix, but still, I had no motivation.  By February, I started to feel like I was stuck because I wasn't happy with the large piece of art from Pier 1.  One Friday in February, I was in Homegoods and found this large picture, which I absolutely loved!

I decided to buy it, even if I had to be stuck with the one I had purchased several months prior.  On my way home from the store, I called Pier 1 and asked if they would let me return it, even for store credit.  They agreed, so I hustled up there as soon as I got home and packed up the pic, and it was my lucky day because the system just credited the amount back to my credit card.  Yes!  I immediately hung the new picture and loved it.  Then i started toying with paint colors.  Everyone was saying they thought the brown was ok, but I was tired of it.  Here I have a paint swatch stuck up to see what a light wall would look like.
Then I got creative and used instastories to test out some other ideas...




That weekend, I also ordered a pillow for the extra chair in my dining room.  I've long wanted a pillow from Shumacher's Chiang Mai dragon fabric and decided this would be the perfect place.

From there, things moved very quickly.  On Monday, I went to the store and got paint swatches.  I settled on a color and had the dining room painted Sherwin Williams Bosporus by that evening...

For a couple of minutes after I started painting, I thought "uh oh!  what did I do", but after it dried I loved it.  I couldn't wait to get the big pic hung and make sure it looked like I imagined...

Tuesday, I went to Dallas to hit up some fabric stores.  I found a fabric for curtains, and grabbed a couple of swatches to take home and look at for chair upholstery.
I also stopped back by Homegoods, and found a couple of lamps I thought would work.  Sure enough, they were perfect.  They are a pretty blown glass with lots of movement, but not overpowering...
 Here I was making sure they looked ok with the curtain fabric since they would be sitting in front of the curtains...

Wednesday, while waiting in court, I browsed some rugs online.  I was a little on the fence about whether I needed a new rug.  I felt bad ditching the one I had, even though it was 16 years old.  When I got done with court and on my computer, I was able to virtually place the rug finalists into my dining room.  This was so helpful because (1) it was very obvious I needed a new rug (holy cow), and (2) I was really on the fence about 3 of them, but when I used that virtual tool, there was a clear winner. And the rug is also called Bosporus!  So I placed that order.

On Thursday, my new rug came in (yes, the next day.  I love Rugs USA).  My mom and dad were at my house because I was going to be taking their dog to the eye doctor and my mom to the eye doctor over the next two days, so I got my dad to help move the dining room furniture and get the rug in place.
Huge Difference!
I also decided I loved the fabric swatches I brought home, so I measured out how much I would need and on Friday, when I was back down in Dallas with my Mom's doctor appointment, I ran back by the fabric store and purchased the rest of the fabric I needed.  Also while at the doctor's appointment, I finally decided on a chandelier (after looking at many options over the week), and placed that order.


I spent Friday evening and Saturday reupholstering the chairs in the dining room.




So if you are keeping score, in one week, Friday to Friday, I had:

found new art
painted the room
ordered a pillow
purchased fabric for curtains
purchased fabric for chairs and reupholstered them
ordered new chandelier
ordered and had a new rug in place

As I had suspected, I was stuck because the art didn't feel right.  Once I had that where I wanted it, everything else just fell into place.  The next week, my chandelier came in and I got that hung, and was very happy with it.  Then I found some boxwood balls to go in my center piece.  I've had the centerpiece for almost 15 years.  I got it at Pottery Barn, and I love being able to change it out with pumpkins for the fall, or ornaments for Christmas, but I had never found a great "all the time" filler.
So then I was just waiting on the curtains to be made and the pillow to come in (that got delayed because the lady I ordered it from on Etsy got the flu).  But once it all came in, I really loved it!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo