Skip to main content

Europe 2022 {Day One ~ London & Windsor}



This year's Europe at Christmastime tour began in my favorite (or should say favourite) city on Earth...London.  I flew out on December 11th and arrived about 6:30 a.m. on Monday, December 12th.  I arrived to a snowy England that had seen an unusually early snowfall the night before.

After clearing customs, I took the tube to Earl's Court and walked to my hotel.  Unfortunately my room wasn't ready that early, so I changed clothes in their common area toilet and headed out.  I took the tube to Paddington Station and bought a train ticket to Windsor.  

After she passed away, I knew I had to go to Windsor to pay my respect to HM The Queen. They are closed on Tuesdays, so the day I arrived was the only option.  My ticket time wasn't until 2:00, but I had checked online and saw that earlier time slots were still available, so I headed out on an early train.

I was able to get in early and it looked magnificent snowcapped!






Sadly no photographs are allowed inside, but the Christmas decor was beautiful!  
You can check out photos of this year's decor in this article

St. George's Chapel is where HM The Queen is buried and I was able to pay my respect.

I wondered why we couldn't go into part of the chapel, but it turns out HM The King was recording his Christmas message there the next day.


The only royal corgis I spotted
I had planned to go over to Eton, but since London was covered in snow, I wanted to take advantage of the unique opportunity to see it this way and headed back to see ALL the sights I could.  First stop was Covent Garden.



Since it was Monday, the antique market at the Apple Market was happening, so I browsed the stalls.

I hadn't eaten lunch, but there was a place at Covent Garden that sold cookies and there was a line, so I joined the line and had a cookie to keep me going until I got to a location I wanted to eat.




Just some of the elaborate London Christmas displays...
Walking to Trafalgar Square...
The Christmas market at Trafalgar...

The tree Norway has given yearly since WW2 for appreciation...

It is hard to put into words how happy I was on this day.
Seeing my favorite place on earth blanketed in snow was a real dream come true and I just couldn't stop pinching myself to make sure it was a reality.
Just look at those snowy lions!
This began the portion of my day that was not on my itinerary.  I wanted to see ALL the places that I could in snow, so I walked up the Mall a bit.

I walked through St. James's Park...
past Horse Guards Parade ...
the WW1 memorial...

up to where I could see Westminster Abbey...
Parliament & Sir Winston Churchill covered in snow...
to Big Ben!
Then I made a turn and went back up Whitehall (basically I'm making a big circle at this point)

The Cenotaph
WW2 Women's Memorial
I even saw the Downing Street fox running around as I walked up Whitehall!

My next destination was a mid-afternoon lunch at a pub called The Clarence...
I had a cider...
and fish & chips...
I then walked back up Whitehall to see Big Ben all lit up after sunset, 
before taking the tube back to Earl's Court..

I was able to check in, so I dropped by bags in my room and then walked back up the street to the Mark's and Spencer Grocery that I like.  I grabbed some sodas, water, snacks, and Percy Pigs before heading back to the room for the night.  

According to my fitbit I had been 18,673 steps on basically an hour and half (maybe) of sleep so I crashed...

This trip I stayed at a different hotel than I have the past few times I've visited London.  It was in the same neighborhood that I like and just around the corner.  It was highly rated and I was pleased with the choice.  There are several hotels in London called "The Resident ___"  This was The Resident Kensington.

I booked a Standard Double Room

I liked that all of their rooms came with a kitchenette closet.

I actually paid more for a larger room.  They had some that were larger, but also some that were smaller.  Just something to keep in mind... London hotels are $$$ and small!




That's a wrap on Day One.  I went to sleep at 7:00 and slept for 12 hours straight!  

Stay tuned for Day Two (and my last day) in London...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo