Skip to main content

Europe 2022 {Day 7 ~ Nürnberg}

Sunday, December 18th started with an early train to Nürnberg.  This was a longer train ride lasting about 3 hours and 15 minutes.

When I arrived in Nürnberg, I took a taxi to my hotel.  I was able to check in and get into my room early.  After dropping my luggage in the room, I walked right out of the hotel into the Hauptmarkt which is where the main Christmas market is located.  I walked around the market some and check out what the various vendors had to offer.
After walking around the market, I decided it was time for some food.  I walked to Restoration Kopernikus for some schnitzel and potato salad.
After lunch, I headed out on a bit of a self-guided walking tour of Nürnberg.  This is the Children's Christmas Market.  They had lots of animatronics...
I walked toward Hangman's Bridge.  This is a sign I saw as I approached.  I don't really know why it was there, but I didn't see anyone lose a hand...
Hangman's Bridge dates to 1595









Weissgerbergasse...
This is known as "Tanner's Lane" and is the best collection of half-timbered houses to survive the war.

This is one of the tower guards for one of the four main medieval entrances to Nürnberg
The gate
This is known as Craftsmen's Courtyard.  It's cute, but not old.  It was built in 1971.
Kaiserburg... The Imperial Castle
Pretty view as I started the walk back town to the market 


This was one of the coldest days of my trip.  I contemplated going out to the Nazi Documentation Center, but my map told me to get on a bus and ride 25 stops, then walk.  A lot of the documentation center appeared to be outside and I just didn't have it in me at this point (later I heard it was under construction and not even worth the visit).  The market was very crowded, so I went back to the hotel to warm up and take a little nap with the plan to head out when the World Cup Finals started.  It was a great plan as the market was very uncrowded!




I loved this booth's ornaments...
This is one of the "things" at the Nürnberg market.  They sell these people made of prunes and walnuts.  People were buying them left and right.  I did not purchase one.

One of the markets partners with countries around the world to sell their local goods.
I had dinner at the market.  The potato cakes again (these were even better than the ones I had in Aachen)...
And the Nürnberg sausages.  They do little sausages here.  You get 3 small ones on a bun...
I did not photograph the Nürnberg Lebkuchen (their version of gingerbread).  It was so good!  I bought several things to bring home and then the next morning I waited for the store to open to buy more after I had tried some the night before.  Here's a pic I borrowed from Wicklein, the store I shopped.  It's been baking them for 400 years!
My hotel was the Sorat Hotel.  It was right at the market and was perfect.
(borrowed photo from hotel)
This was a not great photo I took right out the front door of the hotel.
I just had a basic double room





That's a wrap on Nürnberg.  It has a great market and I'm happy I got a chance to visit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo