Skip to main content

Europe 2023 {Day Four ~ Norway in a Nutshell}

On December 14th, I did what is called "Norway in a Nutshell".  I took a train from Bergen to Voss.  Then a bus from Voss to Gudvangen.  A boat through a couple of fjords (Nærøyfjorden & Aurlandsfjorden) to Flåm.  Then the Flåm railway to Myrdal.  And finally another train from Myrdal to Oslo.  Here is a map where you can see the locations beginning in Voss up to Myrdal...

This wasn't a guided tour, but I bought everything through Fjord Tours because it was easier than booking everything myself.  I also booked a luggage porter service through them that picked up my luggage at the hotel in Bergen and delivered it to my hotel in Oslo and that was 100% worth the money.

Now let's start at the beginning...  I was required to have my luggage at the hotel reception by 6:30 a.m. and then I had breakfast at the hotel.  Hotels in Norway apparently have a competition for best breakfast awards, so they are pretty darn legit.  I went back up to the hotel room to put on makeup and finish getting ready.  I noticed my luggage was still there so I went and put my makeup and some other things in my suitcase to lighten my load for the day.

I walked to the train station (about 15 min. walk) and got on the train that was headed to Voss.  The train was filled with people heading to Voss to ski and snowboard.  The train left at 8:30 and arrived in Voss about 9:45.  I think it's a pretty route, but I was only able to see the last 30 min. or so of the journey because it was still dark.  

I caught a bus that left Voss at 10:10 and arrived in Gudvangen at 11:05.  Voss looked like a cute town, but I only got a few pics from the bus.


The bus ride was very pretty though!



A little video of the bus ride
Once I arrived in Gudvangen, I had a bite to eat before boarding the boat.  



I was one of the first to board and was able to get a prime seat up at the front.  I had windows in front of me and to the side so I had great views, and the door to the deck was right there too.  I'm sure in the summer the boat is super crowded, but it wasn't full for my trip.













It was so beautiful!  I took a million of videos during the 2 hour boat ride, but here are just a few...


And this last video is where the one fjord fed into another and we made the turn to Flåm

The boat arrived in Flåm and I had 30 minutes before the train left, so I hit up some shops.
I have huge regret for not buying this coat.  If I'd had longer than 30 minutes total in Fläm, I'd probably own it, but I was in too much of a rush to make a major-ish purchase.

On board the train
The Flåm church was built in 1670


The train stopped at the Kjosfossen Waterfall for pics

The train stopped at Myrdal and people either took a train back to Bergen, or on to Oslo.  I had chosen to go all the way to Oslo, which is just short of a 5 hour train journey.  

A little bit of info about "Nutshell":  This day looked very different than if I had done Nutshell in the summer with loads of daylight available.   I would have stopped in Voss and ridden the gondola, I might have gone to a Viking thing in Gudvanger, but I for sure would have killed two hours in Flåm and taken the later train.  But since I was racing daylight all day, I had to take the early train out of Flåm to be able to see the famous journey, and that meant 2 1/2 hours at the Myrdal train station.  

I couldn't believe it when every single person but me got on the train to Bergen and I was left in an empty train station up on the mountain for 2 hours!
I was so happy when the train to Oslo finally arrived and I was on my way.  I was wishing I had grabbed some food back in Flåm to eat during my solo train station experience, but I hadn't so I walked to the dining car and saw this fellow passenger.


It was about 10:30 p.m. when I arrived at the train station in Oslo, so I bit the bullet and paid for a too expensive taxi again to my hotel.  I was again staying at a Thon hotel, but this time it was Thon Hotel Cecil.  The outside was on a side street and really nothing remarkable, so no picture, but this is my Standard Queen room.  It was fine, but I didn't love sloped ceiling/window situation and there wasn't enough room to leave my bag open.





It was an incredibly long day, but what an experience!  I loved it and was so happy I did it.  Stay tuned for Oslo...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo