Skip to main content

Europe 2023 {Day Three ~ Bergen, Norway}

On Wednesday, December 13th, I had an early flight that left Copenhagen and arrived in Bergen, Norway at 9:30. 

Somewhere over Norway
I hoped I had landed in Bergen at least.  Bergen's sign at the airport seems less than confident!
I took a taxi to the hotel, which I knew I shouldn't do, but I did anyway.  And well, I shouldn't have done it.  Taxis in Norway are ridiculously expensive.  STUPID EXPENSIVE.  

I lucked out again and was able to check into my room early.  After putting my stuff in the room, I headed out to explore.  My hotel was right in Bryggen, which is the historic Hanseatic district.  
These buildings are shops, restaurants, etc. and I went in and out of every shop at least once.
Within 20 minutes of arriving, I had fallen for these $500 sweaters.  I didn't get one, but I saw them all over Norway and sure wanted one!
There were snow flurries all day, which I LOVED.


I walked over to their Christmas market, but it wasn't open yet.  I grabbed a sandwich for lunch at Baker Brun and then went back to the market.

The market was fine.  A lot of it was inside tents, which I didn't love. 



I walked to the Fløibanen Funicular and took it to the top of Mount Fløyen.








I walked around on the mountain for a bit and into the Troll Village.



I now refer to it as the (BLEEPING) Troll Village because I bit it, more than once, trying to get down from there.  I knew my wrist and hand hurt, but when I got back to the room I realized there was a reason it was hurting!  So thankful I just bruised myself and didn't break something on day 3!
I walked around Bergen some more.  I stopped in a different Baker Brun for a sweet treat, and then once I was done wandering, I went back to the room to rest and formulate a dinner plan.  This was the view from my room of the historic buildings in Bryggen.
I decided where I wanted to go for dinner and headed out.  McDonalds wasn't my destination, but isn't it a charming little McDonalds?
I went back to the Fish Market and ate dinner at this restaurant...
It was pretty expensive, but you can't beat the view and it started snowing during dinner and it was like being in a snow globe.
The food was wonderful.  I read they had amazing fish soup, but I went with a bowl of the shellfish soup instead.
You have to see the video... it is FULL of crab and shrimp!
I ordered a salad and 2 scallops (originally I ordered 3, but I changed my order after that soup).

After dinner snowy views...
Cold.  Snow.  Yummy Food.
I was happy as could be!
Walking back to the hotel, I passed a Starbucks that was in an awesome building.
It tempted me to stop for tea to drink back in the room.
I stayed at Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz Bergen.  Thon is a hotel chain and there are different varieties of them throughout Norway.  I didn't remember to take pics of the hotel, so I borrowed from them.

My room was one of those corner rooms so that's why I had views of the water and Bryggen.  I imagine most rooms in the hotel do not have great views.

I loved this room.  I might have been my favorite of the trip (and of course it was the one I was only in for one night!).  It had great views and was so spacious.





I watched an episode of The Crown and went to bed.  I had been up since 5:00 and I had another early morning the next day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo