Skip to main content

Beating the Heat Treat

This week has not been that bad, but last week was HOT!  I decided to make homemade ice cream in an effort to beat the heat. 

I have a cheapo ice cream freezer that I got on clearance at Target for like $15.  It's not the best, but seeing as I only make homemade ice cream once a year, I have hardly ever been able to justify the expensive wooden kind.  Even though this is a cheap, plastic kind, I still prefer it to those kind where you freeze the bowl and don't use ice/salt.

I don't know why I wrapped it in a towel.  I saw my great-grandmother do it.  My grandmother do it.  My Mom do it.  So by-golly I'm going to do it!
I added some fresh peaches to mine


There are tons of great recipes out there for homemade ice cream or custards.  I went the easy route and used my Mom's recipe because it is tried and tested (and did I mention easy?). 

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

6 eggs beaten
3 2/3 cups of sugar
3 teaspoons of vanilla
2 tall cans of Pet (evaporated) milk
1 small carton of half & half
finish filling with regular milk

Now I know people get all crazy about the raw eggs, but we've been eating this for years and all has been well.

Here's another one of my Mom's recipes that I really like (gosh I may just have to break out and make another round of homemade ice cream this year!)...

Tutti-Frutti Ice Cream

1 can Eagle Brand milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple (undrained)
1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges (drained and chopped)
1 cup water
3 cups milk

Combine first 7 ingredients; blend well.  Add water and milk.  Pour mixture into freezer can of a 1 gallon freezer.  Freeze according to freezer directions.  Allow ice cream to ripen at least 1 hour (does this mean that you should let it sit for one hour before eating it?  Mom?).

Comments

Mom said…
Yes, that's what it means. I'm not sure we've always followed that part of the directions.
Rebeka said…
I loveee making ice cream! So good!! That peach kind looks awesome. I've never made ice cream that didn't require cooking, I'm going to save this recipe though :) thank you for sharing.
Suzanna Cooper said…
I think we have talked about my quest for the homemade vanilla recipe that is similar to the one in Canton. How does this one compare?

Popular posts from this blog

It's SATC Saturday Again

First, I will start you off with a little movie... Sex and the City- All the Best Moments from the Movie. WARNING : If you haven't seen the movie, don't watch this.  Oh, and also please rectify this ASAP.  Ann-  they have the movie at your local TJ Maxx for $5.99.  I meant to buy it for you when I was there and bring it to you at Robin's party, but I got distracted by lamps and forgot (sorry!).  This week has been pretty lame-o on the updates front. All I have found is that there are reports of some drama on the set between Kim Cattrall and SJP.  Of course there have been reports in the past that these two gals didn't get along (personally I think it is just because KC is a little too big for her britches and doesn't seem to always remember that SJP is an executive producer and Carrie is, well the star ).  There are also reports that SJP is possibly a little overwhelmed with having the two new twin girls and little James Wilkie to take care of...

Join my Party

Welcome to my Christmas Shin-Dig! I've never thrown a blog party before so I'm kind of nervous, but that can just be our little secret. I have lots of things I want to include in my party, so I've decided the best way to tackle this is to do several posts, so keep scrolling down so that you don't miss a single thing that goes on at this party! I always try to have party favors when I throw a party, and this one shouldn't be an exception, so I am giving away a prize. Here are some photos of the prize All you have to do to enter is comment on one of my Christmas Party Blog entries. I will put all the names in a hat and draw a winner. I will post the winner's name on my blog on Sunday, so check back to see if this cute little Santa bubble light is coming to your house! All entry comments must be posted by 11:59 p.m. Pacific time. If this is your first trip to my blog, Welcome! Please come back and see me again!

A Blogiversary Giveaway!

One week from today will mark 2 years since I started this whole blogging thing.  I'm very excited about this blogiverary because an opportunity has come up for me to do a giveaway for you guys!  My sponsor has many websites that sell just about everything... lately I've been looking at the site for luggage  because I'm feeling the need for a new carry on bag for my upcoming trip to NOLA.  But more about the giveaway!  Here's a picture of a couple of samples... I will be giving you a set of Tervis tumblers!  If you don't know about Tervis tumblers, they are great because they keep your beverage super cold and they don't sweat all over your table!  As you can see, I'm feeling the collegiate tumblers in honor of the upcoming football season, but if you are the winner, I will give you a couple of choices: (1) You can choose from over a hundred different tumbler themes to fit your personality or lifestyle:  Texas themes, Initial...