Skip to main content

Europe 2023 {Day Five ~ Oslo, Norway}

 December 15th was finally a day when I didn't have to wake up super early, but I did have to go down for breakfast before they stopped serving (it was a weekday so they stopped serving earlier than I'd have liked).  I went down for the breakfast and then went back up and got ready to head out for the day.  

When I left the hotel I was very pleased with the location.  It was right near the Parliament Building, the Christmas market, the Grand Hotel, etc.  Great location.  First I walked to the Parliament Building.

"The Storting" is what it is actually called.  It opened in 1866 and the architect wanted it to represent openness so he made the main chamber visible from the outside.
The two wings were to represent arms inviting people to participate in democracy.
I got sucked into a situation at the Grand Hotel for a bit.  They had barricades set up, didn't let any cars go down the street and there were lots of police, but also professional photographers staking out the scene.  I hoped there was a royal visit of some kind, but after I while I asked a professional photographer and he said it was some high level talks involving Israel and Gaza.  No royals = I moved on.

I walked by the Royal Palace, which unfortunately is only open to visitors in the summer.

The Viking museum in Oslo is probably one of the top attractions, so I was super bummed when they closed it for renovation (until 2027).  They recommended a visit to the Norwegian Historical Museum to see some of their Viking artifacts, so that was my next stop.

They have torn down many stave churches around Norway, but preserved a few of the entrances at this museum.

So much carved detail
This is one of the best preserved Viking helmets anywhere
Viking Swords

This is from a Viking ship
Viking Spurs which are a very rare find

After the museum, I ventured over to the intersection of Damstredet and Tethusbakken.  It's an often photographed street that has some traditional Norwegian homes.

Ask me if I regretted this decision as I walked down this hill while trying not to break my neck!


I made it down and then walked on to Mathallen Food Hall
I walked around and of course I had to stop here.  I bought a couple of cupcakes and cookies to-go from The Cupcake and Pie Co.  I ate them later and they were phenomenal!
For my meal, I settled on Vulkanfisk Seafoodbar and ordered the fish & chips
I walked back to the Christmas market and looked at all the stalls to see what they had to offer.

They had a talking/singing moose...actually two!  I'm not kidding when I say I LOVE when a market has a singing moose.
I went back up to the hotel room to drop off my cupcake and cookies.  Then I headed down to the Harborfront area.  There are several museums down there including the Nobel Peace Center (which I didn't visit)
I did go to the National Museum.  I read it had an amazing view from the roof terrace, but it was closed.  I greatly enjoyed a display of Queens' clothing.  Norway went from 1938 to 1991 without a Queen.  This featured clothing from Queen Maud (she was Queen from 1905 until 1938 when she died) and Queen Sonja (who has been Queen since 1991).

Queen Maud's coronation gown from 1905


Norway abandoned coronations in 1908, but in 1991, King Harald had a consecration ceremony like his father, King Olav, and this was Queen Sonja's dress

A few more of Sonja's dresses
A few of Maud's dresses
Would you look at how tiny her waist was?
There was another clothing exhibit with all sorts of different items.  This was a traditional Norwegian dress.
This is "Pile o' Sapmi" by Maret Anne Sara.  It is made up of 400 Reindeer Skulls with bullet holes in their skulls.

I walked around Aker Brugge on the harbor front, and looked over at the Akershus Fortress all lit up.

I walked back over toward the Christmas market which is located right by the National Theater (and my hotel).


There were lots of spots like this around the market.


I spent the rest of my time walking around a shopping area where I found a whole store that was the brand of $500+ sweaters I loved.
The streets were decorated very nicely.
I eventually grabbed some dinner to-go from a food hall located in a nice department store and went to the hotel to eat and watch some more of The Crown.  I remember thinking at the time that I had a pretty lazy day, but when I checked my fitbit, I had walked 18,000 steps!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo