Skip to main content

Europe 2023 {Day Seven ~ Stockholm, Sweden}

Sunday, December 17th I had an early flight from Oslo to Stockholm.  I walked a few blocks to the Nationaltheatret station and took the Flytoget express train to the airport.  My flight was very empty as you can see.
I arrived in Stockholm by 10:00 a.m. and took the Arlanda Express to the main central station in Stockholm.  Since I was unfamiliar with the city at this point, I took a taxi to my hotel.  I was lucky again and could check in early.  I dropped off my things and headed out.  I took the ferry over to Skansen.  

Skansen was Europe's first and it's said best, open-air folk museum.  It's very similar to the museum I visited in Norway, but it's more elaborate.  It's not so much a winter destination, but on the weekends leading up to Christmas they have a Christmas Market and are open, so I needed to hit it up the day I arrived.

The market wasn't particularly pretty, but it was very legit with great things to buy and eat.  I grabbed some food first thing.  I had the lightly smoked and fried elk meat with crushed potatoes and cloudberry creme fraiche in a flat bread cone.  
It was wonderful.
I liked all their signs above each vendor






I got some of these cinnamon sugar almonds which were yummy, but also warm, so they kept my hand warm.
I bought several things at this market.  I got two bags of gingerbread flavored muesli (which weighed much more than they looked like they would!), a few cookie cutters, and I got this star ornament because it reminded me of all the stars lit up in the windows across Scandinavia.



One of the things that was more elaborate about this folk museum was that they had animals typically found in Sweden.  I saw wolverines, seals, etc.  The bears were hibernating though, and I couldn't find the otter in his enclosure to save my life.  There was a moose!
and reindeer!
It had really started to rain so I left Skansen and walked over to the Vasa Museum.






I took a tram instead of ferry and had a rainy walk to my next stop.
The Royal Armory was another place on my list that had to be visited on Sunday because of a Monday closure.  The quick description given in guide books is "a fine collection of ceremonial medieval royal armor, historic and modern royal garments, and carriages".
It was all of that but also a very informative museum about the history of the Swedish royal history.
And it was kind of gory.  In large part thanks to Maria Eleonora...
The cloth!
But wait!  His horse died in battle with her husband and she had the horse taxidermied!


A couple of inches below and over to the left of the gold button on the hat, you can see the bullet hole
And his bloody gloves (I told you it's a gory museum)
Can you even imagine wearing (and walking in) this?!
Bonkers!
But gosh the fabric was divine!
Someone's wedding dress (I don't remember who's), but it was pretty.

Some examples of opera attire
the details!

More fabulous fabric
Fancy stockings
I saw lots of the royal carriages, but here is just a sampling



They also had lots of the royal sleds

After leaving the museum, I walked through Gamla Stan (Stockholm's historic old town).  I walked to the Christmas Market that's located at Stortorget.  It's Stockholm's oldest square and in the 1400 was the heart of medieval Stockholm.
So very charming and notice the stars in the windows






Only a block away was a restaurant I wanted to eat at.  I didn't have reservations, so I was there when they opened to snag a table.
Everything was very good.  

For my meal I had Venison roast beef (reindeer), tomato and root vegetable ragu, pickled sea buckthorn in red wine sauce.
For dessert I went with the chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and topped with gingerbread.
I walked around more and stopped off at this candy store near my hotel.
The candies were gorgeous and I got a couple of bags of peppermints and a bag of lingonberry candies which I fell in love with and am wishing I had bought more of.

I stayed at the Hotel Scandic Gamla Stan.  I was convinced that I had to stay in Gamla Stan, and while I found it convenient, I don't know that it was as imperative as I thought it was.

This hotel provides breakfast, but you have to reserve your time the day before.  You also have to request housekeeping the day before as well.  I did request it and it got me clean towels, but they didn't bother to make up my bed.  Not sure if this was an oversight or if they don't provide this?
It also has a elevator, which every hotel in Gamla Stan doesn't have, although a very small one.
I had a standard queen room, but it was quite small and you couldn't walk if your bag was open.
 




The bathroom was so odd.  It was tiny, but had lots of counter space, even though you had to do a weird dip to the side to sit on the toilet and avoid the sink!
The shower was a decent size compared to some small ones I've seen across Europe
That's a wrap on day one in Stockholm.  More to come...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo