Skip to main content

Europe 2023 {Day Two ~ Copenhagen, Denmark}

Whew... buckle up!  Day Two was BUSY!  I'm tired all over again just thinking about it, but that means picture overload here in this post (I did leave a ton out, I promise).

 I arrived on a Monday and many of the places I wanted to visit were closed on Monday, so that means that Tuesday, December 12th was chocked full of activities.  I literally slept for 12 hours and woke up ready to hit the ground running.  First order of business was to walk to a food hall, Torvehallen, for breakfast.  I found a place called Grød that served porridge, and I thought that sounded like the perfect breakfast.  They had a lot of options, but I went with their Oat Porridge Number 1: whole rolled oats cooked with oat milk and water topped with caramel sauce, fresh apples, and roasted almonds.  It was yummy and warm and a perfect start to the day.

Next up, I walked to Rosenborg Castle where I had a 10:00 timed entry slot right when they opened.
The gate is labeled 1672, but the castle was actually build by King Christian IV in the early 1600s as his summer residence.






Christian's toilet...
...with Delft tiles added in 1705
Christian VII's Hall
Portrait of the King in his coronation robes and regalia.

A peek out the windows of the castle of the Rosenborg Gardens
The Great Hall
Three silver lions from 1670 guard the king's and queen's thrones (which are made of silver and narwhal tusks).

The national coat of arms in the ceiling of the Great Hall
Next I went down to the basement where there are weapons and wine.
Saddle from Christian IV's coronation in 1596
Then on to the treasury...
The Sword of State (1551)
Christian IV's crown (1596)
Just part of the collection of rings
These next few pics are of Queen Sophie Magdalene's jewels who's will in 1796 decreed that her jewelry be always "with the Crown".  There are 4 sets of jewels that are part of this collection.  They can only be used by the Queen and only within Denmark.  They are used a couple of times a year.

The ruby and pearls...
Emeralds
Regalia including the scepter, the orb, and the ointment jar

The Order of the Elephant is Denmark's highest-ranked honor, so you see it in jewels and other places
A few more of Queen Sophie's jewels
The crowns of absolute monarchy from 1671 and 1731


I never pass up a gift shop! I got a Rosenborg ornament, but snapped a pic of this book about Queen Margrethe II who is known as Daisy. (She's since really shocked everyone by announcing she will abdicate on January 14, 2024)

Church of the Holy Spirit


Next stop was the Museum of Danish Resistance.


Saint Alban's Church (a 19th century Anglican church)
I walked down to see The Little Mermaid.  I had read it was underwhelming, and it is, but I'm not going to Copenhagen and skip seeing it.



Frederick's Church or The Marble Church as it is known.
I next had a timed ticket for Amalienborg Museum at the Amalienborg Palace, but one entry was blocked off, so I walked around to another entry and the police told me they weren't letting anyone in and the changing of the guards had been cancelled because "something happened".  He told me to come back the next day, but unfortunately I was moving on to my next location and wouldn't be able to visit.

I started walking to my next location which meant I walked through one of the Christmas market's I had visited the day before.  I purchased an ornament I had seen and liked, and then decided I was hungry and the Greek booth smelled yummy.

Aarhus Cathedral.  The Danish royals attend Christmas Eve services here.



Højbro Square and it's Christmas Market
My next stop was Christianborg Palace
They don't have big coronations anymore.  When there is a new Queen or King, the Prime Minister goes out on that balcony with the new monarch and declares there is a new Queen or King.  This balcony was last used for such events in 1972 and will again be used on January 14, 2024 when Crown Prince Frederik is declared the new King.

The start of my visit to the Royal Reception Rooms.
The King's Staircase
The Throne Room
This is the inside walking out to the balcony I mentioned earlier
This ceiling painting depicts the legend of "Dannebrog".  The Danish national flag is falling from the heavens and turning defeat into victory. This is said to have happened in Estonia in 1219.
Danish coat of arms consists of 3 lions
The Great Hall
The Dining Hall

The Queen's Library


The Princess Chamber
The Alexander Hall
The Flora Danica Cabinet houses the Flora Danica china which has been used since the early 19th century by the royal family for special occasions.  It has flora from the Danish countryside and was manufactured by Royal Copenhagen.

I visited the Royal Kitchen next.  It is located beneath the palace and has one of Europe's largest collections of copper kitchenware.  It is set up as it was on May 15, 1937 when Christian X celebrated his Silver Jubilee. 


The size of everything was crazy.  This wasn't even the biggest pot but you can see the handle is as long as my arm!
The tea kettles were huge and would easily hold at least a gallon of water.

After the palace, I decided to walk to Christianshavn.  I stopped at a Lagkagehuset for a cinnamon scroll and just to sit down for a few minutes.
In Chrstianshavn, I stopped at Our Savior's Church.  It was inaugurated in 1696.


5 of the 6 angels at the front altar are archangels.
The elephants again... a symbol of absolute monarchy and the Order of the Elephant (there are 40 elephants in the church).

Next stop was Christiana.  Photos aren't allowed so I snapped this one from a block away.  In 1971, 700 Christianians established squatters' rights in an abandoned military barracks.  This "free city" still stands.  It's very bohemian and hippie dippie. I visited a Christmas market there with hand-made goods, but nothing really my style.  The main drag is called "pusher street" but I didn't see any drug sales (which are illegal).  There are 3 rules posted: 1) Have Fun, 2) No photos, and 3) No running "because it makes people nervous".

I finally used the metro and saved my legs a few steps as I headed back to the hotel.  I rested for a little bit and swapped my boots for sneakers added some warm layers and headed out again.
I went to the most unlikely place for me to visit... an amusement park.

Tivoli Gardens opened in 1843.  Walt Disney visited here and incorporated many parts into Disneyland.

It was all decked out for the Christmas













I planned to eat at the Tivoli Food Hall, but it was beyond crowded, so after I left the park I walked around until I decided on a burger place called Dandelion Burger.  It is rated the #1 burger place in Copenhagen and it was excellent.  I got a combo to-go and took it back to the room to eat.
I think you can call that a full day!

I packed up and went to bed because I had an early wake up time to fly to the next destination...stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo